VMware Communities
doublepedaldyla
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating a VM to a physical disk

Does anyone know if there is any way to take an existing VM of Windows XP, and migrate it to a bootable bootcamp partition.

The reason I ask is that a while ago, I created a VM of XP, but since then, my XP install disk has become flawed, and the installer will not complete. Therefore, I am hoping to transfer the existing VM to the partitioned disk I have, so I can boot a real windows machine from time to time.

0 Kudos
1 Reply
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Does anyone know if there is any way to take an existing VM of Windows XP, and migrate it to a bootable bootcamp partition.

It is not easily done however it is possible if you have the right tools although AFAIC clean building is always the best way to go in the long run however if you really what to attempt V2P then have a look at ShadowProtect Desktop Edition as a possible solution.

The reason I ask is that a while ago, I created a VM of XP, but since then, my XP install disk has become flawed, and the installer will not complete. Therefore, I am hoping to transfer the existing VM to the partitioned disk I have, so I can boot a real windows machine from time to time.

I do not know if Microsoft still does it for XP however they typically will replaced damaged/defective media for a nominal fee and you could call them to see if they would. If it is an OEM from another Manufacture then don't bother because they wouldn't replace it and besides that you cannot legally use an OEM version because you have qualify as a System Builder and then it must be sold to to a third party after it's installed.

0 Kudos