VMware Communities
JamesP824
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating VMWare Fusion

I just bought a new MacBook Pro with an M1 chip, to replace my old MacBook Pro with an intel core.  Is there a way to install and run Fusion on my new MacBook, or do I have to buy a new version of Fusion?  And will Fusion run on the M1 machine?  

Labels (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

You will need to install the Tech Preview version of Fusion in order to work on Apple Silicon.  Also, note that none of your existing x86-compatible virtual machines will run on that computer.  You will need new virtual machines with ARM-based CPU code.

0 Kudos
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Your post needed moving to the area for the Fusion Tech Preview (the only version which currently works on the M1), so I reported it to the moderators - looks like they have moved it to the main Fusion area, you should have a look here: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-Tech-Preview-22H2/ct-p/3022

Note the VMs on an M1 system can only run ARM-based OSes, not x86-based OSes such as those you ran previously on your Intel Mac.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
JamesP824
Contributor
Contributor

OK, so I am an architect (buildings, not software) and I just want to be able to run my CAD software in Windows on my Mac.  I don’t know all the technical lingo.  Also, I couldn’t even find the Fusion support group on your website.  So, thanks for redirecting me there.  

It’s fine if I have to download a new version of Fusion, but I don’t know what you’re talking about with regard to the “ARM-based CPU code.”  Can you just direct me to a link for where to download the correct software to run on my M1 Mac?

Thanks,

James

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

You will have to build a completely new virtual machine.  The M1 machines use a different CPU (ARM) than the old ones (Intel).  It's a bit like gas cars vs diesel - similar but different.

Windows 10 and earlier won't work at all.  Windows 11 for ARM has an intel emulation system in it that, in theory, will allow your software to install and run.

There's a tech preview out FusionPreview this week, or next week, Fusion 13 will come out that supports M1 machines.  The tech preview guide and unofficial guide (both at that link) have instructions on how to get a Windows 11 ARM installer.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The page that @scott28tt pointed to has a link to a page that will allow you to download the Pre-release 22H2 Tech Preview. That is the only VMware Fusion release that will currently run on an M1 Mac. A new official version of Fusion is rumored to be imminent that will support M1 Macs, but until that happens you have to use the Tech Preview.   

However, that’s not going to be sufficient.  The M1 Mac does not contain an Intel or AMD CPU which means it can’t run the Windows that runs on a PC.  You must use a copy of Windows designed for ARM CPUs (Windows 11 for ARM) - as the Apple M1 is a ARM CPU chip. 

Once you’ve done that, you can install Windows and your CAD software and it might work (you’ll have to check with your CAD software vendor to see if your program will work on Windows 11 for ARM).

This forum contains documentation that will assist you through procurement and installation of both the Tech Preview and Windows 11 for ARM as some assembly is required. See the Tech Preview Testing Guide https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview-Testing-Guide/ta... and the unofficial Tips and Techniques Guide https://communities.vmware.com/t5/Fusion-22H2-Tech-Preview/Tips-and-Techniques-for-the-Apple-Silicon...

If you’re not comfortable or don’t feel you have the skills for a little “assembly required”, you might want to look at Parallels Desktop. They do make this a little easier for the less technical user.  

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos