VMware Communities
binarynomad
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating VM from Mac to PC...

Has anyone had any luck getting a VM created in Fusion to work on a pc? I keep getting errors like "Configuration file was created by a VMware product with more features than this version".

0 Kudos
7 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership

What VMware product (and version) is on the PC you are using?

If built as a Fusion 2 version VM, the only products which can run it are the Workstation 6.5 beta/Player 2.5 beta/Server 2 beta. If using an older product, you need to downgrade the virtual machine before moving it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Has anyone had any luck getting a VM created in Fusion to work on a pc? I keep getting errors like "Configuration file was created by a VMware product with more features than this version".

If you upgrade a Fusion 1.x Virtual Machine in Fusion 2.0 or created it in 2.0 and you want to use it in Workstation 6 then you need to...

VMware Fusion menu bar > Virtual Machine > Downgrade Virtual Machine...

0 Kudos
binarynomad
Contributor
Contributor

I was trying to migrate from Fusion 1.x to Workstation 5.x. I uninstalled Workstation and installed Server 1.0.x but it still had the same problem.

I grabbed the VMware converter program and it worked fine.

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

FYI, I successfully moved Fusion 1.1.3 VMs to VMware Player 2.0.x and back. I understand that I now have to downgrade my VMs from the current Fusion 2.0 Hardware version to do this at this time. In my case, they worked fine on a Windows Host running Player 2.0.x

0 Kudos
binarynomad
Contributor
Contributor

Is the only way to downgrade, is to use the VMware converter?

0 Kudos
gbullman
Expert
Expert

I think the prefered way would be as WoodyZ suggested above. I would do it with the VM shutdown (not sure if it is required to be shutdown).

In Fusion 2.0 select the VM in the Virtual Machine Library, or select its' window while it is shutdown. Then use the Virtual Machine menu->Downgrade Virtual Machine... menu item. Acknowledge the prompts.

At this point move / copy the VM to the PC and run it there. Suspect you may have to downgrade VMware Tools versions too, but again I'm not positive.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If you are going to copy a Virtual Machine that was created or upgraded under Fusion 2.0 to another Platform/Product that requires version 6 hardware then you should uninstall VMware Tools and use the Downgrade Virtual Machine... while the target Virtual Machine is shutdown, not suspended as the command is grayed out while the Virtual Machine is running. If you require a lesser hardware version then 6 you will need to use VMware Converter after you downgrade to 6 unless they have updated Converter to handle version 7 hardware which at the present time I don't believe it can. (At least the Release Notes do not reflect that it can.)

0 Kudos