VMware Communities
yopopee
Contributor
Contributor

Migrating Fusion 2.0.2 updated environment back to the original bootcamp environment

I created the a bootcamp environment 6 months ago and then created the fusion environment from the original bootcamp environment. I have used the fuision environment in for my job and during this time I, without thought had company software and upgrades done to the fusion environment. Because of so some recent software installed I would like to be able to use it on the bootcamp environment, but I need the original boot camp lags behind the fusion 2.0.2 environment. Can I migrate the vm environment back to the original bootcamp environment from which the vm environment was originally created?

0 Kudos
6 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I created the a bootcamp environment 6 months ago

Okay, using the Boot Camp Assistant you installed Windows on your Mac.

and then created the fusion environment from the original bootcamp environment.

Okay so did you Import the Boot Camp partition as a normal file based Fusion Virtual Machine or have you just been running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine?

I have used the fuision environment in for my job and during this time I, without thought had company software and upgrades done to the fusion environment. Because of so some recent software installed I would like to be able to use it on the bootcamp environment, but I need the original boot camp lags behind the fusion 2.0.2 environment. Can I migrate the vm environment back to the original bootcamp environment from which the vm environment was originally created?

The following "but I need the original boot camp lags behind the fusion 2.0.2 environment." doesn't make any sense however if what you did was Import the Boot Camp partition as a normal file based Fusion Virtual Machine then this is indeed separate and apart from the Boot Camp partition and the changes made in the imported Boot Camp partition Virtual Machine will certainly not be in sync with the the physical Boot Camp partition install of Windows and if this is the scenario in which you find yourself then what you're asking is to do V2P (Virtual to Physical) and while it technically is doable it is not a Fusion issue per se in that Fusion cannot preform V2P operations and it would require you to use 3rd Party Tools to accomplish this. In short Windows installed on a Virtual Machine needs to be properly prepped to be transfered to dissimilar hardware and then imaged and restored to the target.

You can search the forum using V2P for information on this.

0 Kudos
yopopee
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, using the Boot Camp Assistant you installed Windows on your Mac.Iinstalled the using Boot Camp Assitant (BCA) and it works fine. I then used the origninal BCA to create the Fusion Virtual Machine (FVM) and very quickly migrated to using the FVM consistantly, because of the habit to more often use the FVM environment...the FVM environment is beyond the BCA environment. I desire to sync them as quickly as possible. From the point of synchronization my process wil be to update the BCA environment first. The FVA was created by importing the BCA environment months back, but now I would like to go in the other direction.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I have already answered your original post and your subsequent post is not any clearer.

If you actually used the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > File > Import... command or the Import button on the Virtual Machine Library then you would have a totally independent and now file based Virtual Machine based on the Boot Camp partition and as such if this is the case vs just running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine from when it first appeared on the Virtual Machine Library then it is normal and expected that they would no longer be in sync and as such you can either install the applications in Windows running under Boot Camp or while running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual machine and restore User Data from a Backup made in the imported Virtual Machine or you can go the V2P route. It's your choice.

0 Kudos
yopopee
Contributor
Contributor

Please excuse my ignorance, but i need a littlt more help in understanding the following...if it is not already as elementary as you can state :smileyblush:

"...as such you can either install the applications in Windows running

under Boot Camp or while running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual

machine and restore User Data from a Backup made in the imported

Virtual Machine or you can go the V2P route."

I don't understand my choices

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

To be perfectly blunt you have not made it absolutely clear whether or not you actually imported the Boot Camp partition as a stand-a-lone Virtual Machine independent of the Boot Camp partition or have just been running the Boot Camp partition as a Virtual Machine. In either case I've already address the issue in the first reply in this thread and have tried to reiterate your choices in a subsequent reply and I really have nothing else to offer as I don't see how I can state the situation any plainer and suggested if you really want to go V2P then search the Forum as this is not really a Fusion issue at this point.

Otherwise you need to read and provide the appropriate information so as to be perfectly clear as to what you have and what it is your trying to do although if your situation is as I've already described then the answers has already been provided.

0 Kudos
yopopee
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you Woody Z for your input. I am apologize for not making myself

clear to you... I hope you have a nice day. I do apologize for making you angry or confused and trying to insult me when you don't know me is rude...but I do really really apreciate your time taken.

0 Kudos