VMware Communities
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Migrated from Parallels to 1.0; now upgrade to 2.0 or start over?

About a year ago I migrated my Parallels VM (2.5, Build 3214; XP Pro OEM) to Fusion 1.0 with no problem. I am now running Fusion 1.1.3 (OS X 10.5.5).

Would there be any advantage to creating a new VM from scratch instead of just upgrading Fusion directly to 2.0?

Thank you,

David

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

About a year ago I migrated my Parallels VM (2.5, Build 3214; XP Pro OEM) to Fusion 1.0 with no problem. I am now running Fusion 1.1.3 (OS X 10.5.5).

Would there be any advantage to creating a new VM from scratch instead of just upgrading Fusion directly to 2.0?

Hi David,

It's probably best to make a fresh virtual machine. There's a known issue when bringing in an imported Parallels VM to Fusion 2.0; if you upgrade it to the latest virtual hardware version (with the menu Virtual Machine -> Upgrade Virtual Machine...), it can get stuck in a loop registering new devices.

Because of this issue, I'd recommend making a new VM, unless there's data or apps you need in the old VM.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
7 Replies
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Hi David,

It's probably best to make a fresh virtual machine. There's a known issue when bringing in an imported Parallels VM to Fusion 2.0; if you upgrade it to the latest virtual hardware version (with the menu Virtual Machine -> Upgrade Virtual Machine...), it can get stuck in a loop registering new devices.

Because of this issue, I'd recommend making a new VM, unless there's data or apps you need in the old VM.

0 Kudos
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Hi David,

Data transfer isn't an issue and I only have a few applications (QuickBooks, AVG, AdAware and Firefox). I do have an OEM version of XP Pro, though, so I hope that won't be a problem? Will Microsoft allow me to reinstall it?

David

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Data transfer isn't an issue and I only have a few applications (QuickBooks, AVG, AdAware and Firefox). I do have an OEM version of XP Pro, though, so I hope that won't be a problem? Will Microsoft allow me to reinstall it?

Yes, I believe Microsoft allows at least 4 or 5 activations before you have to call in.

admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Yes, I believe Microsoft allows at least 4 or 5 activations before you have to call in.

Even for an OEM version?

0 Kudos
bgertzfield
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Even for an OEM version?

I'm not sure. It's worth a try!

If it doesn't work, just avoid upgrading your Parallels-imported VM to the new hardware version.

davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

If it doesn't work, just avoid upgrading your Parallels-imported VM to the new hardware version.

Well, assuming that I do want to upgrade, the question will then be whether to buy a full version of XP Pro or wait to see what Vista SP2 is like.

David

0 Kudos
davidb2
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

Even for an OEM version?

Well, finding myself with some holiday leisure time, I finally decided to try your advice and upgraded from 1.1.3 to 2.0.1. There was no need to reactivate and so far it is running with no apparent problems.

You had mentioned a known issue with bringing a Parallels VM into Fusion 2 and that I might get stuck in a loop registering new devices. During the upgrade a message did come up that new devices were detected and, perhaps related to that, I did have to restart the VM, because at first it wasn't installing VM Tools. After the restart everything went fine though.

David

0 Kudos