VMware Communities
palter
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Microsoft officially supports Parallels to run Windows 11 on Apple silicon

Microsoft today announced that "Parallels® Desktop version 18 is an authorized solution for running Arm® versions of Windows 11 Pro and Windows 11 Enterprise in a virtual environment on its platform on Apple M1 and M2 computers".

There are numerous limitations as described in the support document.

@Mikero, any comments?

Mac mini (M2 Pro/32GB/2TB), Intel NUC10i5FNH w/ESXi 7.0,
iPhone 15 Pro Max (256GB), iPad Pro 12.9" (5th gen, M1/16GB/1TB)
41mm Watch Series 9 (Aluminum), TV 4K (3rd gen), TV 4K (1st gen)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

This tells me that VMware better get their backsides in gear because they can no longer use the excuse that Microsoft doesn’t officially support Windows 11 ARM on anything but Surfaces and OEM devices. 

This announcement also begs the question:? Exactly how good a partner VMware is with Microsoft when they got pwned once again by Parallels?

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

It's a very good thing to see that Microsoft is releasing their grasp on Windows 11 ARM.  I guess the rumored exclusivity agreement with Qualcomm is over. It will also be interesting to see if Microsoft now offers real ISO release media for ARM like they do for x64 so we can do away with the uupdump procedures. 

It's also good that they announced that Fusion has passed the ARM SystemReady certification process - the certification has been on ARM's website for over a month now. 

But VMware still needs to deliver on what they say in their post - and sooner rather than later. VMware has lagged badly on ARM so I'm taking anything they say with a grain of salt until they prove they can deliver on a more timely basis than they've done over the last year and a half. They can start with the full VMware Tools experience to get on par with Parallels. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
gringley
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Well...this removes my concern around using the Parallels solution.  No longer so risky in the long term.  Agreed that Fusion 13.5 better show up soon too 😉

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Agreed, unfortunately. VMware did not skate to where the puck was going to be or even close to it.

Michael has made some vague tweets about "moving ahead full speed" that echo what he said in the blog. Too often VMware's "full speed" is outrun by a tortoise.

I'm not 100% percent convinced that the other teams that he's depending on within VMware have the same sense of urgency as he's projecting.

I know VMware doesn't like to discuss future products, but the Fusion product is now in severe jeopardy of being totally irrelevant. They can't wait 6 months or longer to respond. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
VirtualMac2009
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

That is great news. Hopefully VMware Fusion 13.5 and 14 will deliver full support for it.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

From past comments, the legal limbo was the big hangup, so I have hopes.  But let's say 13.1 not 14 🙂

0 Kudos