VMware Communities
vmWareAAA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Memory for VM

I have 4 GB of RAM. I have created 2 VMs. XP Pro and Windows 7. I have allocated 3 GB for each one of them. When I start only one, it runs fine. But when I start both, how does the allocation work?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes 1 GB for each VM, and incase if we require more we can assign as required. So the rest you can use for the host..

Regards

Anil

Save the planet, Go Green

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

Subscribe yourself at walkonblock.com

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
6 Replies
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Which is the VMware product you are using? What you are doing is called over commitment of memory which is done. Even though you have assigned 3 B each, the guest OS doesnt use 3 GB of complete RAM. Now when OS is running and is using 1-2 GB, it should be working fine ..similarly the other VM..and even when both are running they will work fine. Now When first VM, uses 3 GB, and you poweron the seond VM, there will be a memory crunch and definitely both VM's performance will be affected.

Now the scenario depends from product to product...the above is generally for all VMware products in normal conditions. In case of ESX server we can do better memory management by using reservation etc

Hope this clarifies the same.

Regards

Anil

if you found my answer to be useful, feel free to mark it as Helpful or Correct.

If U find my answer useful, feel free to give points by clicking Helpful or Correct.

WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

If you only have 4 GB of RAM and you're assigning 3 GB to each then even running 1 starves OS X and if you really need to be running Windows with 3GB and your Mac only supports 4 GB RAM then you should just get a PC and run Windows on a PC.

Anyway with only 4 GB and trying to run 2 VM each with 3 GB you will have no performance at all so it doesn't really matter how allocation works.

0 Kudos
vmWareAAA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I am running VM Ware Fusion 2.0.2. I need the bare minimum amount of memory for the host. As I immediately start my VM. That's why I kept 1 GB for the host and aloocated 3 GB for XP Pro. I then created another VM and sllocated 3 GB to it...thinking that I would have only one of them running at any given time. Now I am thinking of having both of them running to compare some features and move stuff across.

So I guess what I want to know is that what should be the memory for the host (iMac) and each of the guests.

I can always tweak them later depending on the performance.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes you can tweak the memory later. What i would suggest at this momet of time is to assign the memory which is required and not the igher limit. You can start with 1 GB and see if it suffices the purpose.

Regards

Anil

vmWareAAA
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

1 GB Each? 1 GB for XP Pro and 1 GB for Windows 7? I guess the rest is for the Mac.

0 Kudos
Cooldude09
Commander
Commander
Jump to solution

Yes 1 GB for each VM, and incase if we require more we can assign as required. So the rest you can use for the host..

Regards

Anil

0 Kudos