VMware Communities
ralvy
Contributor
Contributor

Making a copy of a VM

I wanted to make a copy of my Windows 7 VM and then load that copy and run a Windows 8 upgrade on it. So I just copied my "Windows 7.vmwarevm" file with a different name and tried loading VMware Fusion 5 and didn't see that VM in its list. So I figured there must be a way to have VMware itself make a copy or clone of a particular VM, but can't find it. Is there a way to do this?

0 Kudos
10 Replies
avanish321
Expert
Expert

Since you have already copied the vmware bundle with different name, all that you need to do is

Drag the virtual machine package icon or the virtual machine's .vmx file to the library window.

When running this copied vm for first time fusion may prompt if you have moved the vm or copied it. Choose copied.

Cheers! Avanish
0 Kudos
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor

Then once Fusion sees the copy and loads and runs it, then do the upgrade to Win 8 on the copied VM?  There by leaving Win 7 (original not the copy) intact?

Or do a fresh clean install of win 8 through Fusion Install with create?

And can either or both be done with the Win 8 Pro upgrade boxed software? 

I'm a bit confused on this and which Windows software to purchase.  I'm currently running Win 7 and would like to leave that as a  stand alone VM and also have Win 8 as a stand alone VM

Thanks for any assistance.

0 Kudos
billweber
Contributor
Contributor

Like any good answer, it depends.

Its more ethical than technical.

If your intent is to test the upgrade from Win7 to Win8, then the upgrade SKU is appropriate and less expensive.

If you intend to run them side by side, a new license is indicated, in which case the OEM or Retail SKU is appropriate.

On a side note, if what you want to do is install a "fresh" version of Windows 8 now or in the future, you will want the OEM or Retail SKU rather than the upgrade SKU.  The upgrade will make you install Windows 7 and then upgrade to Windows 8 every time.

A friendly thought is that you might want to keep your options for returning to Windows 7 as 8 has its issues.

Nothing you won't quickly learn once you use it.

0 Kudos
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you billweber,  that is the answers I've been looking for.  I have no problem with purchasing a license for a standalone Win8 if that means I don't have to mess with my Win7 and leave it as it's own VM (therfore the quetion of the copy to  upgrade)  However, the only thing I've seen is the Win 8 Pro Upgrade Retail.   I'm not clear on the difference between OEM and Retail

Yes, I wan't my options with Win 7 to stay as I use it primarily for Win/Quicken and do not want to mess up 20years worth of financials and to say the least about twice a month bill paying and banking.  If I became comfortable with Win8 then Quicken at some point would go there.  I would not be running them side be side by merely keepin one as a back up VM OS.  Never have I ran side by side or two at a time.  No need,  Just wanted to play with 8 and at some point I would think it would overtake 7 ...possibly, depending on my confidence with it.

Thanks again,

Bill

0 Kudos
billweber
Contributor
Contributor

The Windows 8 Professional 64-bit Retail SKU     $200

http://www.bestbuy.com/site/Windows+8+Professional+-+Windows/6559083.p?id=1218752793305&skuId=655908...

The Windows 8 Professional 64-bit OEM SKU     $100

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416550

The Windows 8 Professional Upgrade SKU         $70

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16832416562

Generally, the OEM SKU comes with less box and more or less a DVD and Serial#.

There are some sales this weekend for launch, so your price will vary.

Generally speaking, I would avoid Windows 8 like it was the plague, but hey, someone has to buy it.

0 Kudos
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks billweber, your a wealth of needed information.  What's the user options difference between OEM & Retail.  With Retail license you can load  on a new machine and OEM it's a one time shot?

When I purchased Win7 it was a DVD boxed 64 & 32 but I do not remember if it was OEM or Retail.  I had ordered it from Newegg several years ago as I figured at some point XP would deminish.  And Fusion saved me from Mac Quicken after we switched from Windows PC's to Macs.  Sure haven't been sorry about that change. 

But at the highest price I would have to re-thing the real need for Win8 and I'm not very intested in acquiring the plauge or problems either.  Might be good advice at this stage to leave well enough alone and hold off awhile til things shake out more with Win8.

Just like to stay ahead of the curve as much as possible.

thanks,

Bill

0 Kudos
billweber
Contributor
Contributor

Well, there is no difference between the effective license of Retail vs. OEM.  They work identically.  OEM is generally cheaper.

The Upgrade SKU is the only limited one.

If against all advice, you're still interested in going to Windows 8, there are some good deals on the Retail SKU at Best Buy this weekend.

Myself, I will be staying at Windows 7 for the forseeable future.  In fact, since you're already using Fusion, why not just throw Win7 into Unity and pretend Microsoft Office really runs on Mac OSX.

Generally speaking, if you remove the network interface from Windows, it runs securely and efficiently in a VMware virtual machine.

No promises on the security nightmare of OSX, but a smaller footprint is always better.

0 Kudos
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor

LOL......no, I'm not adverse to advice especially if it keeps me away from techno problems.  I think I will heed your advice and stick with Win7 /Win Quicken as all is good on that end.  I'll play around with unity.  the other stuff you mentioned is greek to me and if I start messing around too much from basics I end up clicking something I shoudn't have and spend countless hours figuring my way out but that is how a person learns good lessons (for me anyway).

You've been a big help and I appreciate it.  If I knew how to provide you with points I would.  I'll ponder the need or want for Win8 just to play around.  As to the weekend prices and BestBuy well the weekend if almost over and the Giants are behind Smiley Sad

thank you.

0 Kudos
ralvy
Contributor
Contributor

In my case, as the original poster here, what was going on was that I bought a retail box of Windows 8 Pro from Staples with a coupon for $40. I was told it would allow me to do a clean install. But I was considering just doing an upgrade with it on a copy of my Windows 7 VM so I'd have all my software still installed. I opted to do the clean install instead. Well, the clean install worked, but would not activate, telling me it was an upgrade version. I called MS support and told them nothing on the box implied it wasn't a full version, but I'm more than willing to pay the difference over the phone with a credit card to activate it as a full version. I was told there were no full version retail boxes at this point, and they would just step me through activating it, so not to worry. They did, and I now have an activated clean install.

I have since done some searching online and seem to find reports that MS will not be releasing a retail box with a full version of Windows 8. I hear dowloaded versions don't suffer this limitation.

I also found someone saying how to use an upgrade box version to get a clean install. Use at your own risk:

http://www.ghacks.net/2012/10/27/windows-8-upgrade-clean-install-possible

0 Kudos
bgoodz
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the reply ralvy and happy for you MSFT worked it out for you.  I've read somewhere if  you select "Custom" install it will allow a clean install and activate but not sure where that is selected during installation.  I haven't determined what I'm going to do yet but was willing to pay for a full version in order to keep Win7 handy in case it was needed.  However, I've done this same thing with XP and Win7 and have never gone back to XP.  Glad you got yours activated but don't know if I want to go through all this and I cringe at the thought of calling MSFT and what hassle that would be with I'm sure circular recorded voice messages until you get to someone who won't ask you for a cc # before talking with you.  I'm an Ol Dog....stick the CD in and load...enter the key and you off and running.  Maybe try it on the VM copy and if all works out then load Quicken and delete the Win7 VM.

0 Kudos