VMware Communities
BD34528
Contributor
Contributor

Major issues!

I am not very skilled with computers so I need help.   I downloaded the free trial version of Fusion 7.  Before I finished the download set up I went ahead and purchased the paid version.   I decided to delete all Vmware files that came with the free trial version and did the download for the paid version.   I get the icon for VMware, but when I try to open I get a "file not found" message.   It is pretty clear I deleted something I should not have deleted with the free trial download.   I'm not sure how to get a full download now???

0 Kudos
4 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

BD34528 wrote: ... I downloaded the free trial version of Fusion 7.  Before I finished the download set up I went ahead and purchased the paid version.   I decided to delete all Vmware files that came with the free trial version and did the download for the paid version.

First of all, there is no trial version of VMware Fusion and what's downloaded is the fully functional GA release of the product.  The only difference is the License Key used either by selecting the 30 day trial or entering a purchased License Key! Smiley Wink  You went through a bunch of hoops and jumps for nothing. Smiley Sad

I get the icon for VMware, but when I try to open I get a "file not found" message.   It is pretty clear I deleted something I should not have deleted with the free trial download.   I'm not sure how to get a full download now???

Unfortunately it is not clear from where the "file not found" message is coming from and you need to articulate in more detail exactly what is going on, provide a screen shot if it can show more then you've provide thus far or... To help figure out what is what, the best way to provide comprehensive diagnostic information is to use the "Collect Support Information" command from the VMware Fusion (menu bar) > Help > Collect Support Information and then attach the .zip file (or .tgz file if pre-version 6) it created on your Desktop to a reply post.

You other option is to completely manually uninstall VMware Fusion in its entirety and start over.  Have a look at: Manually uninstalling VMware Fusion

NOTE:  If you choose to do a complete manual uninstall make sure you have a copy of your VMware Fusion License Key before deleting anything! Smiley Wink

0 Kudos
BD34528
Contributor
Contributor

Hello and thank you for trying to help.  I did a complete uninstall by following the directions you sent me.   I went back to the webpage and downloaded the free trial version.   When I try to open the file I get the file not found message.   I did the save my key information, but I can't even open the file. 

image.jpg

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

BD34528 wrote: I did a complete uninstall by following the directions you sent me.   I went back to the webpage and downloaded the free trial version.   When I try to open the file I get the file not found message.

As I have already said, "there is no trial version of VMware Fusion and what's downloaded is the fully functional GA release of the product.  The only difference is the License Key used either by selecting the 30 day trial or entering a purchased License Key!" and I should have added... while installing VMware Fusion, which I now have. 

Anyway, it is still somewhat ambiguous when just saying "When I try to open the file I get the file not found message." as it's not exactly clear explicitly and specifically when you're getting that error...  Is it when you are trying to open the downloaded VMware-Fusion-7.0.1-2217440.dmg file or after the VMware-Fusion-7.0.1-2217440.dmg file opened and when double-clicking to install the VMware Fusion.app or after it's installed and then opening the VMware Fusion.app for the first time or when trying to run a Virtual Machine?  So I can't say for sure what exactly in particular is generating that specific error and now the support bundle information would probably be the better way to go since you haven't really articulated more then what you have.

The point being is... it takes a certain amount of information to diagnose/troubleshoot any given issue and in this case that level of information hasn't been reached as it is not yet clear explicitly and specifically exactly when you're getting that error and with out that information maybe the log files in the support bundle will provide a clearer picture then the screen shot and what information has been provided thus far.

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

I notice that the upper right corner of your screen has the VMware Fusion icon on the menu bar.  It's quite possible that some parts of VMware Fusion were still running when you deleted it.

The easiest thing to do would be to restart your Mac to clear out whichever parts of Fusion were running before.

Once you restart your Mac, can you then open VMware Fusion?

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos