VMware Communities
skifore
Contributor
Contributor

Maintain "Open With" Connection With New Windows VM Image

We are currently preparing a new Windows 7 VM Image to be rolled out to a few machines.

These machines already have VMWare Fusion 4 and are running an existing Windows 7 image.  The primary use of the Windows VM on these machines is for using Microsoft Office 2010 (for reasons to drawn out to describe here, we need to use the Windows version of office on these machines).

Is there a way to maintain the "Open With" functionality with the new image such that when a user clicks on, for example, an .xlsx file in the Mac it will open up Excel in the new image.  In testing it wants to open up Excel in the existing image, although I can do a manual "Open With" to open it on the new image if it's currently running.

I realize we could just manually swap these extensions over on the machines, but was wondering if anyone is aware of a way to either tell VMWare to swap the "Open With" links to the new image or a semi-automated way to point these extensions to the new image (via a script perhaps?)

I'd appreciate any suggestions as I imagine I'm certainly not the first person to face this issue.

Thanks.  

0 Kudos
0 Replies