VMware Communities
DanboC
Contributor
Contributor

MacBook Pro, VMWF 1.1.3, NO SOUND...

Hello,

I have upgraded to 2.0 beta 1 lost the sound and downgraded back to 1.1.3 only to stay without sound. (I had sound before the upgrade). I have read through most (if not all) the discussions regarding sound (and there are plenty). And still don't have sound.

My specs:

- MacBook Pro OS X 10.5.4

- VMWare Fusion 1.1.3

- Guest: WinXP pro SP2

What I tried:

1. Deleted and re-added the sound device in the guest settings

2. Logged in (to the Mac) as root and chose the sound output device in system preferences

3. Reset PROM

4. Re-install the VMWare tools

Extra info:

- There are no exclamation marks in the device manager

Does anyone have any other suggestions?

By the way in the VMX file there is an entry sound.pciSlotNumber = "33" is this something that needs to be edited or changed?

Sorry for yet another sound issue post. Thanks for you help!

Daniel

Here's a clue:

I plug in an external USB audio device (an iMic) and the sound plays through it. I unplug it and return to Creative Sound Blaster PCI and there is no sound again.

Message was edited by: DanboC (added Clue)

0 Kudos
7 Replies
DanboC
Contributor
Contributor

I managed to solve it by creating a new guest using the .vmdk file from the original guest.

Sound is now back!

Daniel

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

If you have the original virtual machine lying around, can you post the original .vmx (as well as the new .vmx) so we can try to figure out the change that made sound work?

0 Kudos
DanboC
Contributor
Contributor

Here you go.

Here's another clue. I don't think it was the new guest that solved this. I have an external USB soundcard. If that soundcard was connected (in VMWare) when the guest was starting up then there would be no sound even if the sound properties were pointing to the "internal" soundcard. This is weird to me as the usb.autoconnect(s) were all deleted manually from the vmx... Unplugging the external soundcard still didn't help. When I disconnected the device (in VMWare settings) and restarted the guest then the sound was back... I also deleted the XP Pro.vmdk.lck folder (I'm not sure this did anything...)

Let me know if you find anything...

Thanks

Daniel

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

I don't think it was the new guest that solved this.

I agree, the vmx files look pretty much the same.

I have an external USB soundcard. If that soundcard was connected (in VMWare) when the guest was starting up then there would be no sound even if the sound properties were pointing to the "internal" soundcard. This is weird to me as the usb.autoconnect(s) were all deleted manually from the vmx... Unplugging the external soundcard still didn't help. When I disconnected the device (in VMWare settings) and restarted the guest then the sound was back...

Hmm, that's interesting - I doubt this is something we test. It probably doesn't matter, but just in case, what USB soundcard is this?

I also deleted the XP Pro.vmdk.lck folder (I'm not sure this did anything...)

Agreed, this is probably irrelevant, but thanks for being thorough.

0 Kudos
DanboC
Contributor
Contributor

Hi Eric,

The device is a: C-Media USB Audio Device. C-Media are an OEM manufacturer. Do you need the VID/PID?

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Can't hurt. The question was more "where can we get one of these things if necessary?"

0 Kudos
DanboC
Contributor
Contributor

PID: 0x0008

VID: 0x0d8c

I think you can get them pretty much anywhere. As I said they are an OEM so my guess is that you can find them in RadioShack.

Daniel

0 Kudos