VMware Communities
Jerry_G
Contributor
Contributor

MacBook Pro Retina-Insanly high resoution and lower rez won't stick across restarts.

The problem I'm having with the Retina MacBook Pro is that the resolution I set within Windows XP Pro won't stick across restarts or shutdown/start. This is in Fusion 4.1.3.

I set my Mac desktop to 1650x1050. Windows XP is running full screen on two monitors (the 15" Retina display at 1650x1050 and a 30" monitor at 2560x1600. Windows XP Pro boots into some incredibly high and almost unreadable resolution. I'm able to just barely use the displays panel to get to 1650x1050 on the Retina screen.

But if I restart windows, or shut down and start windows again, it boots up with the same very high resolution and I have to again reset the displays panel in windows.

Very annoying.

Any workarounds or will it require a new version of Fusion. This is now the only problem I'm having with my new MacBook Pro Retina. And a working Windows virtal machine is critical for me.

Thanks in advance for any help with this issue.

Jerry

22 Replies
GeertCu
Contributor
Contributor

I had the weird repainting glitched too, but they went away after I uninstalled Parallels and just kept Fusion.  Haven't seen those issues since... Did not re-install or change anything on the Fusion installation...

0 Kudos
MacNephDoc
Contributor
Contributor

THANK YOU! My 65 year old eyes have been rescued!

Your solution worked not only for a VM displayed on the laptop's screen, but also when I ran the Retina Display with the screen/cover closed and the display on one of Apple's "pre-thunderbolt" Cinema Displays!

Smiley HappySmiley HappySmiley Happy

0 Kudos
DWD2112
Contributor
Contributor

Works for me, too! And this is something I can remember to check in the future. Thanks everyone!

Now if only I could figure out USB 3 and bluetooth & wireless working together on the rMBP? Wait - that is an Apple thing, not VMWare.

0 Kudos