VMware Communities
RCampbell12
Contributor
Contributor

MacBook Pro Hangs after Fusion 4 install

I was hesitant to go to Fusion 4 because I'd had problems with the initial install of Fusion 3 and a VMWare tech had to remote to my machine and poke around for awhile, making various changes, to get it to run Win 7 successfully.  Then one of the 3.something upgrades caused problems that I eventually got fixed, again with help from VMWare tech support.  Now with the upgrade to 4, I've got more problems.  I'm going back to a Windows laptop for my next machine.

The updgrade from 3.x to 4.0.2 seemed to go smoothly, but the first time I suspended/shutdown (can't remember which one) the Win7 VM, Fusion seemed to hang.  I got the pinwheel of death.  After a very long wait, I was able to get Fusion to quit and then I had the same problem shutting down iTunes.  It finally shut down after another long wait.  Then I tried to shut down OSX and it never did.  I let it sit for 2 hours.  Finally I had to power it off.

I figured that may have been a one-time glitch, but when I suspended the VM today, I had the same problem.  Pinwheel of death, nothing would respond, had to power off.  NEVER had this problem until and immediately upon upgrading to Fusion 4.

Has anyone seen this?  I was hoping for better, of course, but Fusion seems to be letting me down again.  Any help would be appreciated.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
4 Replies
jsantora
Contributor
Contributor

Just now reading this old post, but thanks for the tips.  I had similar problems years ago with an early copy of Fusion.  Today I have a new Mac (happily running Bootcamp for 2 years now).  While in a Mac store, I made an impulse purchase of Fusion 4.  I think I'll leave it in the box at least until someone posts a note that F4 installs and works as well as their video.

0 Kudos
StratMark
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 4.1.3 installed this week on 17" MacBook Pro (late 2007 w/Dual Core Intel) running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and Windows XP Professional — preparatory to installing Mountain Lion — it is fantastic — runs as smooth as the Mac side — seems equally fast.  I had been running Fusion 3.x latest — worked well but was slow — wish I'd upgraded to 4.x long ago. 

0 Kudos
StratMark
Contributor
Contributor

Fusion 4.1.3 installed this week on 17" MacBook Pro (late 2007 w/Dual Core Intel) running 10.6.8 Snow Leopard and Windows XP Professional — preparatory to installing Mountain Lion — it is fantastic — runs as smooth as the Mac side — seems equally fast. I had been running Fusion 3.x latest — worked well but was slow — wish I'd upgraded to 4.x long ago.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

When you go to ML, try the technical preview:  http://communities.vmware.com/community/vmtn/beta/fusiontp2012

0 Kudos