miformby
Contributor
Contributor

MacBook Pro, 30" display & unity: is this supported

I'm sorry if this is answered already. I made an honest effort to find it.

I want to buy a 30" display (2560x1600) to run with my MacBook Pro (1920x1200). I would like to use Unity, having all Windows in the 30" dispaly, and my Mac apps and one Windows window on MacBook Pro. Will this work? I've been unable to find this info anywhere. VMWare support sent me here. And, I have seen the multiple monitors video on YouTube. This does not answer my question: those all look like 24" monitors.

Thanks,

Millard

0 Kudos
4 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Assuming your MacBook Pro can drive the 30" display, it should work. However, depending on the graphics card in your MBP, we may fall back to software rendering which is slower.

miformby
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry. I should have said:

NVIDIA GeForce 8600M GT, 512VRAM.

MacBook Pro (2.5 GHz Intel Core 2 Duo) 4GB RAM. OSX 10.5.6.

The computer will drive an external 30" display in Mac OS X. In Windows I will only be running eSignal stock charting software, nothing 3D. Will that fall back to software rendering? How slow are we talking about?

Is there an optimal RAM setting or VRAM setting that would help. I can increase my RAM to 6GB if necessary (according to Other World Computing). Currently I am alotting 512GB to Fusion. Windows XP thinks it has 1GB of RAM and VMWare SVGA II display adapter.

Thanks again,

Millard

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

With a GeForce 8600, you should be fine and not fall back to software rendering - from Apple's OpenGL capability page, the maximum texture size is 8192, which is greater than the combined resolution of your monitors.

miformby
Contributor
Contributor

Eric,

Thanks. You're awsome, and thanks for all the great work on Fusion. It's a better experience than an actual Windows computer, and I've had/have several..

Millard

0 Kudos