VMware Communities
Kikyoya
Contributor
Contributor

MacBook 12inch 2015: Can't find Bootcamp partition, why?

I got MB 12inch 2015 and installed Win8.1 with bootcamp, making new VM with bootcamp. But VMware fusion said can't find Bootcamp partition. Of cause, Win8.1 can boot from bootcamp partition and I can use it. I also checked /Volumes/BOOTCAMP in OSX terminal. Why Fusion can't find Bootcamp partition? Any solution?

Below is results of diskutil command.

$ diskutil list

/dev/disk0

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:      GUID_partition_scheme                        *500.3 GB   disk0

1:                        EFI EFI                     314.6 MB   disk0s1

2:          Apple_CoreStorage                         249.4 GB   disk0s2

3:                 Apple_Boot Recovery HD             650.0 MB   disk0s3

4:       Microsoft Basic Data BOOTCAMP                250.0 GB   disk0s4

/dev/disk1

#:                       TYPE NAME                    SIZE       IDENTIFIER

0:                  Apple_HFS Macintosh HD           *249.0 GB   disk1

Logical Volume on disk0s2

004E22E3-0759-417F-8E0C-C703F376B675

Unencrypted

36 Replies
mudaltsov
Expert
Expert

We have just released VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2015 which has support for Boot Camp on the 12-inch MacBook (and hopefully any other Mac with 4K sectors).

If you are willing to give it a try, we would appreciate any feedback. Please make sure to make backups of any important data, just in case.

Note that the Boot Camp VM created by the Tech Preview won't be compatible with Fusion 7. Also, it's currently lacking the automatic configuration of Windows, so you have to manually install VMware Tools. You may also need to change the OS in Virtual Machine > Settings > General if you are using Windows 10 instead of Windows 8.

StevenB7
Contributor
Contributor

Now when I select 'Install from Boot Camp' I see my Boot Camp install but after creating the VM I can't start it.  Screen shot of the error attached.

I changed the OS in Virtual Machine > Settings > General to Windows 10 x64.  I have deleted the VM and tried recreating it repeatedly without success.

0 Kudos
tracywang
Expert
Expert

Can you try first boot to BOOTCAMP natively, and then shutdown it normally. And then boot to Mac and remove the old boot camp vm, and recreate it? If it still doesn't work, upload your support bundle here please. Thank you.

0 Kudos
StevenB7
Contributor
Contributor

Booting to BOOTCAMP natively, and then shutting it down normally.  Then deleting and recreating the VM didn't fix the problem.  Same error message.

Support bundle attached.

0 Kudos
BastianH
Contributor
Contributor

It works for my windows 8.1 bootcamp partition...

0 Kudos
mlaan
Contributor
Contributor

Installed the preview and it still can't find my bootcamp partition even though my bootcamp partition (Windows 8.1 64 bit) functions normally otherwise. Note: this is on a 2013 MacBook Pro 13 inch.

0 Kudos
supzso
Contributor
Contributor

If you're using El Capitan beta you may need to disable Rootless security feature before working with Bootcamp.

My W10 Bootcamp works fine with Fusion Preview on MacBook 12" running El Capitan - Rootless disabled.

Big thanks to Mudaltsov!

0 Kudos
StevenB7
Contributor
Contributor

Can you please post how you disabled rootless?

Googling it returns a couple of methods with disagreements about if they work.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
supzso
Contributor
Contributor

Start up with command+R into Recovery partition

Go Utilities menu / Security Configuration uncheck System Integrity Protection and Apply

--this was supposed to work but i got some error with 10.11 DP2, so next

Quit Security Configuration, open Utilities menu / Terminal

execute this command: nvram boot-args="rootless=0"

then execute: reboot

Hope it helps.

0 Kudos
StevenB7
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!

Start up with command+R into Recovery partition

Go Utilities menu / Security Configuration uncheck System Integrity Protection and Apply

Worked for me.  The system rebooted.  I created the VM from bootcamp and it's working.

Thanks again!

StevenB7
Contributor
Contributor

Well that didn't last long.  I installed VMware tools and rebooted the VM.  Now booting to BOOTCAMP natively or in VM won't work.  Error screen attached.

0 Kudos
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

VMware Fusion Technology Preview 2015

This issue is fixed in Fusion Technology Preview 2015. You could download that and have a try.Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
StevenB7
Contributor
Contributor

I formatted my SSD and installed Yosemite rather than El Capitan‎.  I am installing a new bootcamp windows 10 build 10240.  Has anyone installed the VMware tools from the Tech Preview 2015 to a bootcamp windows 10 install and not had a problem?

0 Kudos
supzso
Contributor
Contributor

I installed the VMware Tools from Tech Preview on W10 build 10240 and had no issues so far.

Both native Boot Camp and VMware Fusion using the Boot Camp work fine.

0 Kudos
BastianH
Contributor
Contributor

does that mean that there won't be an update for vmware fusion 7 to get it properly working on the macbook 12" ?

0 Kudos
Jason2903
Contributor
Contributor

When is VMware planning to fix this issue?  I just bought Fusion 8.0.2 yesterday and it won't recognize the Boot Camp partition on my MacBook 2015.

0 Kudos
Eric_Allione
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Yes I realize that this thread is old. However, this problem only seems to have got worse with differences of drift with versions of VMware Fusion, MacOS, and Windows 10. At one point I was able to build Boot Camp and then import the partition into VMware Fusion but I am no longer able to do that.

I was struggling with the same problem but then finally realized that there was no reason why I was not deploying a Windows 10 .ISO directly. So I did that and the performance was significantly beyond what I had from Apple's drivers. For example, the sound driver worked right away. After putting in VMware Tools, Device Manager gave all of my drivers a perfect score and the web was working too. After doing this, I experienced no detectable latency, there were not strange errors with resolution or scaling, and full screen is working great.

Bottom line is that if you use VMware Fusion's drivers for 64-bit Windows 10 that they will perform better than the drivers that Apple will give you. Because of this, there's no reason to use Apple as a middleman and you should deploy Windows 10 directly from VMware Fusion.

(related thread)

0 Kudos