VMware Communities
avanpelt
Contributor
Contributor

Mac menu bar weirdness with Fusion 6.0.1 and full screen VMs

Running Mavericks as the host and Windows 7 and Windows XP guests in Fusion Professional 6.0.1.

I have an external monitor connected to my MacBook Pro and I run the VMs on the external monitor (if that matters).

I'm seeing strange behavior with the Mac menu bar in Fusion where it will be visible when the VMs are full screen but with no text.  I'm seeing this behavior when I first launch Fusion and start the VM in full screen from a powered off state or if the computer goes to sleep with the VM running in full screen and I wake the computer up again.  Although there is no text on the menu bar, if I left click and run my mouse across the blank bar, the normal menu content appears and is clickable even though the names of the menus themselves never appear (File, Edit, View, Tools, etc.).

I've tried going to View ---> Hide Menu Bar in Full Screen but that doesn't appear to do anything.

I've taken a screenshot (below) of my full screen Windows XP VM powered off (not suspended).  You can see that even before the VM is powered on, the Mac menu bar is faintly visible but with no text.  If I power on the VM, it powers on normally but the faint menu bar with no text remains at the very top of the screen.  The only way I've found to get rid of the menu bar and make the VM truly full screen is to Go to View ---> Single Window and then toggle back to Full screen and the faded menu bar disappears and the VM is truly full screen.

Screen Shot 2013-10-25 at 11.06.36 AM.png

It's nice to know there is a workaround; but it's annoying to have to do this several times a day.

I upgraded from Fusion Professional 5.0.3 to Professional 6.0.1 and immediately upgraded both of my VMs when prompted after installing 6.0.1 if that matters.

Any assistance would be appreciated.

0 Kudos
7 Replies
gsmalter
Contributor
Contributor

I also have this problem.

0 Kudos
nsfw
Contributor
Contributor

I have this problem as well.

Dual Monitors. OSX 10.9. Fusion 6.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

This is a known Apple bug and can hit other applications as well.

0 Kudos
mabboud123
Contributor
Contributor

+1 - me too ...

0 Kudos
shoegazer
Contributor
Contributor

also have this problem.

0 Kudos
avanpelt
Contributor
Contributor

Just a note to say that Fusion 6.0.2 did not seem to fix this problem for me.

With 6.0.2, the faded Mac menu bar doesn't appear all the time when doing the three-finger-swipe up to view spaces, but it still happens about one out of every four times.  As before, the only way I've found to get rid of the menu bar when it appears is to click on the faded menu bar in the space where the "View" menu would be (there is no text visible), then choose "Single Window" from the menu and then toggle back to Full Screen mode.

Is anybody else seeing the same/similar behavior since upgrading to 6.0.2?

0 Kudos
shoegazer
Contributor
Contributor

yehp same problem in 6.0.2, in my team 4 of us have 6.0.2 and have the same issue.

0 Kudos