VMware Communities
arnegevaert
Contributor
Contributor

Mac keyboard in Windows XP

Hi,

I have a virtual machine running windows XP on my 13" Macbook pro (OSX Lion). The problem is, I use this virtual machine for programming in FlashDevelop, so I have to use the (), {}, [], etc a lot, and these keys are mapped differently in Windows, which can get very annoying at times. Is there a way I can implement the Apple keyboard in my VM? I really don't care about the fn, ctrl, alt, cmd, windows keys, just the keys that are "under" the numbers on top of the keyboard, and the special characters on the right-hand side.

Regards,

Arne Gevaert

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

arnegevaert wrote: I use this virtual machine for programming in FlashDevelop, so I have to use the (), {}, [], etc a lot, and these keys are mapped differently in Windows, which can get very annoying at times.

Well on my MBP I just started up a Windows XP Pro Virtual Machine and in both OS X and Windows when I press any of the keys in any combination you mentioned the output is as expected and as it's supposed to be.  Meaning it works the same in both and the expected character for the target key pressed is what is typed.  So none of the keys you mentioned are mapped any differently between OS X and Windows on my MBP.

Now I'm running Mac OS X Snow Leopard on the system I'm at however I'm quite sure if I go over to an identical MBP that has Mac OS X Lion on it the results will be exactly the same.

Are you running different Regional and Language Options and or Keyboard settings in Windows Control Panel or OS X System Preferences, Language & Text and or Keyboard?

Have you modified any Key Mappings under Keyboard & Mouse in VMware Fusion Preferences?

Have a look at: Set Key Mappings on the Keyboard and Mouse Preferences Pane

0 Kudos
arnegevaert
Contributor
Contributor

Hi,

I've taken a look at the keyboard and mouse preferences in the VMWare fusion preferences, and it seems I have two "keyboard profiles", these are Mac and Default. It was on default, so I tried changing to Mac, but this didn't make a difference. An example of the differences is: the ( and ) keys are in the same place on both windows and mac. In mac, if I want to type { or }, I have to press alt + ( or ), and to make [ or ], I have to press alt+shift+( or ). But, in windows if I press alt + ( or ), I get [ or ], and to type { or }, I have to press alt + ç or à. (These are below the 0 and 9 keys.). It's these kind of problems I'd like to fix, and this probably has something to do with the keyboard settings in control panel in Windows XP, I currently have these set to Belgium - Dutch (Comma). Is there any keyboard layout in XP that matches the numeric keys on a macbook?

0 Kudos