VMware Communities
hambungler
Contributor
Contributor

[Mac] VMware Fusion Pro not Player

Greetings,

I have a user who is trying to install the trial version of VMware Fusion Pro on a Mac (Intel chipset). However, when prompted for install, we cannot choose Pro; it defaults to installing Player version every time. Is there a way to choose Pro install instead of Player?

0 Kudos
4 Replies
hambungler
Contributor
Contributor

For what it's worth, I was able to install the Pro version (trial) on my MacBook (also Intel)

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

The installer is the same for both editions. The installed code is the same for Player and Pro. The only difference between Player and Pro is the license key that is installed.

If you install and don't provide a license key, I believe it defaults to a temporary license key that a 30 day trial of Pro.

If you subsequently buy a Fusion Pro license and install it, you have Pro.

Install a Player or Personal Use license, and you have Player.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
hambungler
Contributor
Contributor

The installer does not ask for a license key, it just proceeds to install the Player version. Is there somewhere to change the license from Player trial to Pro trial? We have uninstalled/reinstalled a few times and it unfortunately always defaults to the Player version.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

If you previously had a free/trial license on the machine you'll need to do a manual full clean install to remove it.  There's a KB article on how to do that.

0 Kudos