VMware Communities
bobmusic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mac OSX Sierra guest -> can't install VMware Tools

Hello,

I am new to VMware Fusion and just exploring the 30 day trial.

My Host is macOS 10.15.5 Catalina on a MacBook Pro 16" (2019). As guest system I installed Mac OSX 10.12.6 Sierra.

When I try to install VMware Tools in OSX Sierra I get the following error message (translated from german):

"VMware Tools can't be installed on this drive. This version of macOS is too new."

Is there a solution for this problem?

Best regards, Robert

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Robert,

The most likely explanation was that setting. If it is set to the wrong guest OS then the wrong VMware Tools version is presented to the VM.

If a VM is imported from Parallels then you also have to uninstall Parallels Tools, but that would not trigger that particular error.

It no longer matters though.

The only thing that counts is that your problem is resolved.

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
5 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi,

Welcome to the VMware community forums.

Can you please verify  the following configuration?

In the menu -> "Virtual Machines" -> Settings -> General -> OS

It should be set to macOS 10.12 just like in the screenshot here:

pastedImage_0.png

If it is not set to macOS 10.12 then you can change it if the VM is shut down (not suspended).

It should match your guest OS so that VMware Fusion can present the correct version of vmware tools to your guest OS.

Hope this helps,

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
0 Kudos
bobmusic
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi Wil, thank you for help.

The virtual maschine that caused the problem was imported from Parallels (which I also test at the moment), Parallels Tools were installed there.

Yesterday I did a fresh install of Sierra in VMWare Fusion and now the installing of VMWare Tools worked without any problems.

Is it possible that the problem occurred because it was an imported VM?

I am sorry, can’t look into the settings as you suggested because I deleted this imported VM after the new one was set up and running.

Best regards, Robert

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Hi Robert,

The most likely explanation was that setting. If it is set to the wrong guest OS then the wrong VMware Tools version is presented to the VM.

If a VM is imported from Parallels then you also have to uninstall Parallels Tools, but that would not trigger that particular error.

It no longer matters though.

The only thing that counts is that your problem is resolved.

--

Wil

0 Kudos
gromero007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Download vmwaretools.rar using safari on mac guest opersting system . Then downlosd unarchiver from appstore . Then open rar file and export vmware .tools to desktop. Once there open vmware tools and Walla!!! Simple

0 Kudos
gromero007
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

20210205_212544.jpg

 Sierra on vmware in my Win 10 after installing vmtools as i instructed . It really works fine . Enjoy

0 Kudos