VMware Communities
edwardre
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer

Hi All,

I get "Mac OS X can't be installed on this computer" error message when I try to install a purchased retail Snow Leopard Server OS under VMware fusion 3.

I have tried installing under VMware Fusion 3 on two different computers:- namely an Apple Mac Pro Xeon and an Apple Mac Pro core i7 without success.

I would have thought that VMware fusion 3 would not have issues given that VMWARE 3 supports Snow Leopard Server.

Has anyone got any thoughts or suggestions?

Much appreciated.

Edward

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Arthurrh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Three possibilities I can think of. Mine was #2

1) Your partition type isn't GUID. You can check it using the DiskUtility in OSX, and change it if needed. However if you created a new VM with Fusion3, this is probably ok.

2) The Server disk you have isn't a "full" version. IE if it's an upgrade version or a disk that came with a Mac mini, then there are checks built-in to make sure that you're either upgrading or installing on the proper processor.

3) less likely, but maybe the system you're on just doesn't support SnowLeopard.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
2 Replies
Arthurrh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I'm having exactly the same problem.

0 Kudos
Arthurrh
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Three possibilities I can think of. Mine was #2

1) Your partition type isn't GUID. You can check it using the DiskUtility in OSX, and change it if needed. However if you created a new VM with Fusion3, this is probably ok.

2) The Server disk you have isn't a "full" version. IE if it's an upgrade version or a disk that came with a Mac mini, then there are checks built-in to make sure that you're either upgrading or installing on the proper processor.

3) less likely, but maybe the system you're on just doesn't support SnowLeopard.

0 Kudos