VMware Communities
toiletresin
Contributor
Contributor

Mac OS X Tiger guest on Snow Leopard host?

Hi, everyone. I have VMWare Fusion installed on a MacBook Pro (specs pasted at bottom*) with Mac OS 10.6.2. I still have my old Tiger installation disks from an iBook G4 and would like to install these in a virtual machine. I made a new machine and set the OS to Mac OS X 10.5 Server (the option that sounded closest, as there's no 10.4 option). I mounted the physical disk drive in the virtual machine, but it doesn't seem to recognize the first installation disk. Here's a screenshot of what shows up:

Any tips? Thanks in advance.

*Hardware specs:

Model Name: MacBook Pro

Model Identifier: MacBookPro5,5

Processor Name: Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed: 2.53 GHz

Number Of Processors: 1

Total Number Of Cores: 2

L2 Cache: 3 MB

Memory: 4 GB

Bus Speed: 1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version: MBP55.00AC.B03

SMC Version (system): 1.47f2

Serial Number (system): 739416UV66E

Hardware UUID: 3777AE64-FDB0-54F4-A7C1-061A74DA7C6B

Sudden Motion Sensor:

State: Enabled

0 Kudos
2 Replies
bsmyers
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Power PC Tiger won't run on an Intel VM. Even at that it has to be server as unless doing a hack won't run.

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

...I made a new machine and set the OS to Mac OS X 10.5 Server (the option that sounded closest, as there's no 10.4 option).

The reason is that per Apple's EULA, only OSX 10.5 Server and later can be run in a virtual machine. Previous versions of OSX are not allowed to be virtualized. And desktop versions of OSX are not allowed to be virtualized. And as previously stated, installers for PowerPC Macs wouldn't work on an Intel based Mac. So that's likely contributing to the installation failure.

So legally, you're not allowed to use the G4 OSX disks you have to make a virtual machine.

0 Kudos