VMware Communities
mlevin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mac OS X 10.13 VM can't boot all of sudden - what to do?

I had a Mac OS X 10.13 VM working fine in Fusion 10.1.6. This morning I found Fusion stuck (pinwheel cursor) and had to force quit. When I restarted it, it shows me the attached. What do I do to get my VM up and running?

Screen Shot 2021-01-01 at 6.14.00 AM.jpg

0 Kudos
9 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

It is possible that the Force Quit has caused damage to the VM (although I seem to recall that Force Quit nowadays should be safe, it was more dangerous around Fusion 4 time frame)

Can you attach the vmware.log file from within the VM bundle to see if that gives a hint?

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
mlevin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok here's the compressed .log file:

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

First a remark and that is that Fusion 10.x officially is not supported on macOS Mojave (see also: https://kb.vmware.com/s/article/2088571 ) but then again... the system requirements from Fusion 10 say it is fine 😄

With that out of the way (and not really an answer I care for unless there are more indications that it is the real problem) let's have a more detailed look at your log.

Looks like you're also running a hackintosh here? That certainly falls in the not supported category.

Don't know.. seems like you are running your VM from an external disk. If that disk was disconnected while the VM was running then it certainly is possible it ended up corrupted and that preventing it from being bootable.

If the disk has valuable data then you can try to attach it to another VM and see if you can still get some data off.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
mlevin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

> If the disk has valuable data then you can try to attach it to another VM and see if you can still get some data off.

sorry, what do you mean - try attaching the same VM file to a different Fusion application on another machine?   Is there any way to repair a VM if it's coming up as unbootable?  I don't think that disk ever disconnected, but I guess it's possible. I think it was mainly because of the forced quit of the Fusion application.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes, attaching a virtual disk to another virtual machine that works (just like you would attach a physical disk you want to diagnose to another computer) is a way to get data off when the disk misbehaves... in the case you are lucky enough that the disk hasn't been completely damaged.

re. force quit versus disconnect. Certainly possible.

There's a vmware command that can repair/diagnose some of the virtual disk issues.
Your virtual disk didn't show any problems on opening in the logs, which was the main thing I was looking for.

The command is "vmware-vdiskmanager" and it can be found within the VMware Fusion bundle.

/Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vdiskmanager

If you run it with the "-R" option and the virtual disk you want to check/repair then it might be able to give you some more info.

eg.

vmware-vdiskmanager -R "Virtual Disk.vmdk"

(adjust disk name/paths to your case)

--
Wil

mlevin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

hmm it complains:

$ /Applications/VMware\ Fusion.app/Contents/Library/vmware-vdiskmanager -R /Volumes/4TB\ #3/macOS\ 10.13.vmwarevm/
VixDiskLib: Failed to initialize PhoneHome library.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

That warning can be safely ignored and has nothing to do with your disk.

(If you really want to know what this is about, then read this thread: https://communities.vmware.com/t5/VMware-Fusion-Discussions/PhoneHome-library/td-p/2289246 )

--
Wil

mlevin77
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

ok but beyond giving this error, it doesn't seem to do anything.

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

Yes well.. that's why I said "There's a vmware command that can repair/diagnose some of the virtual disk issues".

If there is no other output then vmware-vdiskmanager didn't see anything wrong with your disk.
That by itself doesn't mean the data on the disk is OK, only that this tool wasn't able to see anything wrong with it.
This is both good and bad news at the same time.
The good news is that your virtual disk isn't broken, the bad news is that you've not gotten much closer to a solution.

This then leaves the option to attach the virtual disk to another virtual machine and see if you can read data from that disk via the extra virtual machine.

--
Wil

0 Kudos