VMware Communities
joeboss
Contributor
Contributor

Mac OS 10.11 and VMware Fusion

Who's going to be the first guinea pig to see if the current version of Fusion will run on El Capitan? (Mac OS X 10.11)  🙂

Yes, yes, I know that VMware doesn't support beta OS versions;  I'm just hoping someone else tests it so I don't have to...

EDIT:  I'm curious to know about both as a Host and as a Guest, either separately or together.

Thanks!

-Joe

65 Replies
fhall1
Contributor
Contributor

Tried the csrutil disable/enable procedure (after Googling how to properly boot into recovery mode in a Fusion VM), but it didn't help.  Same error at the end of the Tools install.

0 Kudos
MacsRule
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

So even while System Integrity Protection was turned off, the Tools install would fail? In that case, did you try uninstalling and then reinstalling Tools? I found that sometimes necessary with OS X guests.

0 Kudos
donmontalvo
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

New issue. VMWare Fusion 8 Pro (8.0.0) is advertised as being compatible with El Capitan but does not work with the GM.

Pointing v8 to El Capitan GM installer, install process never starts because the VM never completes boot process.

I tried the VMWare Fusion 7 Pro hack, which supposedly works with 8, but no luck, same thing, stalls near end of boot up.

I thought Parallels was the only company that ate crow?

Don

0 Kudos
dariusd
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Hi Don,

The most recent El Capitan installers contain a change which render them incompatible with Fusion.  We didn't have the time to correct it before Fusion 8 shipped.  For a workaround, see this post (which is now stickied at the top of the whole Fusion forum): Checking out El Capitan GM Candidate on Fusion 8 | mikeroySoft.com

Cheers,

--

Darius

0 Kudos
Solidbrass
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Darius, will this workaround allow moving a 10.11 VM onto an ESXi 6U1 host from Fusion Pro 8?  I would like to do some testing of the changes to the MDM features in my virtualized Mac OS X server environment (I am using Mac Mini's as ESXi hosts for OS X VM's), and I have not found that uploading OS X VM's from within Fusion Pro (7 or 😎 has been a viable approach for me.

0 Kudos
Boijack
Contributor
Contributor

Is this step-by-step instructions article available in English?

Please advise.

0 Kudos