VMware Communities
Mike_Randle
Contributor
Contributor

Mac Fusion and networking

I too was so excited to see the Fusion beta, as I have just (dec 22), moved to the macbook pro from my dell windows xp. I'm a java developer and have recently grow very use to the development virtual appliances that have been put together lately. It was disappointing to find out that the claims of Fusion to run these did not pan out. The hype makes mention of the VAs, but they are no good if they don't land on the network the same as they do on windows and linux.

I'd like to echo the thoughts of many on this forum that alot of us have moved to the mac in search of a stable development platform. Seems Fusion could have us at heart as well, and at least allow these types of virtual appliances to operate correctly on OS X. That shouldn't be hard to put in the beta. I can do without all the other workstation features for now to start, especially UI stuff.

Does anyone know if Parallels will allow me to create a linux vm that will join the network dhcp and truely be it's own virtual machine? Would there happen to be a public Parallels JBoss VM? Is there an 'appliance' community for Parallels? I don't mind spending the money for Parallels now if it has the functionality, and come back to VMWare on Mac OS X when it's ready for developers.

mike

0 Kudos
1 Reply
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Most VMTN appliances will work "out of the box" if they are designed to work with NAT and DHCP. If you also need bridging over a wireless interface, inbound connectivity or communication between multiple VMs then things start breaking down. While there are workarounds, not everyone is willing to jump through hoops in the first beta. Check back for updates as the situation will only improve.

For your Parallels networking questions, I suggest posting on their forums, they have a responsive community answering many user questions.

0 Kudos