VMware Communities
jdbasho
Contributor
Contributor

Mac External Keyboard number pad doesn't work in Virtual Machine

Hi,

Just discovered this. Hooked up a new Apple external keyboard to my MacBook Pro today and the number pad doesn't work at all in Fusion. It does work in Mac OS X. I tried hooking it up (USB) while in Windows but that didn't help.

Anyone else have this problem and if so, have you found a solution?

Thanks!

John Dean, Rochester,NY

Vmware Fusion Version 1.1

Windows XP Pro SP2

MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB

Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard

Trendnet Wireless G Router

John Dean, Rochester,NY Vmware Fusion Version 1.1.3 Windows XP Pro SP3 MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Trendnet Wireless G Router
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
7 Replies
admin
Immortal
Immortal

You need to enable number lock in the guest. How to do this varies depending on the exact keyboard you have, but try "clear" (above numberpad 7) if you have it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to what Eric suggested I will add that you might have to turn the num lock on in the Guest via its virtual keyboard.

In Windows XP click > Start > All Programs > Accessories > Accessibility > On-Screen Keyboard and then on the OSK click the nlk key.

In Windows Vista click > Start > All Programs > Accessories > Ease of Access > On-Screen Keyboard and then on the OSK click the nlk key.

0 Kudos
jdbasho
Contributor
Contributor

etung,

Thank you so much! I pressed the clear key on this keyboard and it did the trick. Numbers are working just fine from the number pad now.

John Dean

John Dean, Rochester,NY Vmware Fusion Version 1.1.3 Windows XP Pro SP3 MacBookPro3,1,Intel Core 2 Duo, 2.4 GHz, 2 GB Mac OS X 10.5 Leopard Trendnet Wireless G Router
0 Kudos
jdbasho
Contributor
Contributor

WoodyZ,

Thank you. etung's suggestion of using the "clear" key like a numlock toggle worked and it's nice to know there's a 2nd way of accomplishing this also.

John

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Yes in general Eric's suggestion should work although for whatever reason that has not worked for some yet using the OSK within Windows has worked too. The bottom line is as long as things add up correctly... Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
markadog
Contributor
Contributor

'Preciate that Woodie. I'm new to Fusion, and I was looking for a solution for that situation.

TANSTAAFL
0 Kudos
davidsadler
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant! Thank you.

0 Kudos