VMware Communities
danielea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mac Crashes

I'm running windows 7, nothing special... running on the latest version of Fusion on my iMac. I'm seeing a lot of crashes. I mean this thing crashes my Mac like a boeing 747. No warnings, nothing. one minute I'm working, the next minute my mouse stops and nothing... OR I get wierd lines on the screen. There a several different scenarios that happen the result is the same. VMWare fusion crashes my Mac. Has anyone seen this or found a solution? I've lost so much work because of this, I'm fixin to have to stop using VMWare altogether for anything critical.

Tags (1)
0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

One thing that I'll note about this:

We push the hardware more than a Mac on itself.  You're running 2 OS's (or more) after all, so we're pushing the disk hard, using all available RAM banks, and sending complex multi-tiered instructions to the CPU (to accomodate host and guest instructions, assisted by VT, etc...).

So, because we're maxing out the hardware, we expose flaws much more often than when using an Apple on it's own. 

Something as benign as a bad bit at the very bottom of a RAM stick might not be hit until the RAM at that location is actually used, which might not be often.  With Virtualization, those banks are more often maxed out and very much need to be correct (there's little room for error at this level), so a flaw will be exposed as 'freezing' and 'crashing', when it might never have been hit if the user isn't using a virtualization platform.

Generally, in my experience, Freezing leads to Crashing, which leads to Cursing.  Such are the tenants of the Dark Side of hardware failures...

My advice: Contact Apple and ask to speak with a Level 2 tech, as they can associate the symptoms you're experiencing with hardware, and can do something about it.  Especially if you've already re-installed the Mac OS.  (Typical TS procedure is: 1) test in a new user; 2) test after reinstalling the OS, 3) repair hardware).

-
Michael Roy - Product Marketing Engineer: VCF

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
22 Replies
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

Sounds like hardware, but i'd love to see your logs to know for sure...

Help > Collect Support Information.

Also, can we see a screenshot? (Cmd + Shift + 3)

-
0 Kudos
danielea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mikero,

Hi, I attached my logs. I wasn't sure what you wanted me to send you a screenshot of. When my mac locks up, I can't do anything at all except power down the computer and restart.

Thank you,

Daniel

0 Kudos
macdo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi, just to let you know I have the same problem. I have spoken to Apple and they suggested that I do a full re-install of OS X , which I did, but did not solve the problem. When I re-installed VMWare V3 running a new install of Windows 7 I started getting the same crashes after a couple of days. No other sofware installed. I thought I had solved the problem by preventing the iMac from going to sleep in any form but still locks up and I have to do a hard reset. I am at a loss as to what is causing the problem.

0 Kudos
SixVodkas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Hi!

I'm a service tech, and I tend to agree with Mikero's assessment that this is hardware. Hard freezes tend to be RAM, HDD (bad blocks) or logic board related.

I'd get the 'lil fella "backed up and checked out" ASAP!

0 Kudos
danielea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Mikero,

Hey, I attached my logs as you requested. Did you get a chance to look at them?

0 Kudos
danielea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thanks for the advice. I do keep a continuous backup of stuff I work on. I would also tend to agree that it is probably hardware and I am thinking that it is video. I have to say though that this is kinda strange because, lots of Macs out there are really not upgradeable in the video card department. Take for instance my iMac. I can't upgrade the video card as far as I know and yet, I think this is the source of the problem. My point in saying that is that VMWare fusion was created specifically to run windows and other OS's on a mac and if the crashes are due to a video problem or some other hardware problem that causes the Whole Mac to crash, not just the windows 7 VM then what does that mean? Anyway, whatever the problem is, it happens often enough that I am going to have to stop using Fusion to do any of my critical work. I'll have to use boot camp to make a clean windows partition and run that way. A bit of a pain switching back and forth, but if I'm not crashing then I can live with it. Its kinda odd though that when I'm not running a fusion VM, my iMac never crashes.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion
Jump to solution

What kind of Mac and what OS version are you running?  There are bad batches of Air's out there, and were many similar issues with 10.6.3 or 4.

As for the Fusion issue, do you have anything else that stresses the system that much?

0 Kudos
macdo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

The Mac that crashes is a late 2008 iMac 2.6ghz with  ATI Radeon HD2600 graphics.( Hardware test came up clean) The crashes only started after upgrading to VMWare V3. Version 2 was installed from new and gave no problems. I also have Version 3 installed on a Mac Mini with a GMA950 chipset and a macbook with a NVIDIA Geforce 9400m chipset. The Mini runs 24/7 with no problem as does the Macbook. I have just installed VMWare V3 on another iMac with the same graphic chipset to see if it is a problem with the graphics driver. It certainly points to a driver problem.

danielea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have an iMac purchased in later part of 2008. Here are the stats:

Model Name:     iMac

Model Identifier:     iMac8,1

Processor Name:     Intel Core 2 Duo

Processor Speed:     2.8 GHz

Number Of Processors:     1

Total Number Of Cores:     2

L2 Cache:     6 MB

Memory:     4 GB

Bus Speed:     1.07 GHz

Boot ROM Version:     IM81.00C1.B00

running OSX 10.6.5

0 Kudos
danielea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I think i have the same video card, here are the stats

Chipset Model:     ATI Radeon HD 2600 Pro

Type:     GPU

Bus:     PCIe

PCIe Lane Width:     x16

VRAM (Total):     256 MB

Vendor:     ATI (0x1002)

Device ID:     0x9583

Revision ID:     0x0000

ROM Revision:     113-B2250L-259

EFI Driver Version:     01.00.259

Displays:

iMac:

Resolution:     1920 x 1200

Pixel Depth:     32-Bit Color (ARGB8888)

Main Display:     Yes

Mirror:     Off

Online:     Yes

Built-In:     Yes

0 Kudos
macdo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Do you have an old version of VMWare Fusion, version 2? If so, try uninstalling V3 and install version 2 to see if that fixes the problem. I think that I still have a V2 disk so I am going to try this tomorrow if I have the time

0 Kudos
danielea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

no I sure don't. I have a windows version in the 2.x version era, but not fusion.

0 Kudos
danielea
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

now the problem of going back to v2 is that you will lose the ability to run win7 I think.

0 Kudos
macdo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Good point, I was running XP up until I did a complete re-install. The VMWare site explains how to install Windows 7 beta on version 2 so I will give it a go as I will only be changing VMWare. I am hoping the  Windows 7 image will work ok with V2. I will soon find out, worth a try anyway

0 Kudos
SixVodkas
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

"Most" high end iMacs have video cards, not integrated GPU's.

A quick check (doesn't even require powering the Mac on) is this- If it's 24" or larger, it has a video card that is fitted into a slot and can be replaced.

True, it's either MXMII or III and you need to go through  an AASP to get it, but it's replaceable.

Best of luck getting this taken care of!

0 Kudos
pumpichank
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

I have seen and reported freezes of the host OS under some circumstances.  Difficult to reproduce and I've never heard of a resolution from VMware.

http://communities.vmware.com/message/1588063#1588063

0 Kudos
macdo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Just about to start installing Fusion V2 to see if that solved the problem when, guess what? it locked up. No VM running and had not been running all day so it looks as if my problem is something else. Spoke to Apple again but no real help.

0 Kudos
Mikero
Community Manager
Community Manager
Jump to solution

One thing that I'll note about this:

We push the hardware more than a Mac on itself.  You're running 2 OS's (or more) after all, so we're pushing the disk hard, using all available RAM banks, and sending complex multi-tiered instructions to the CPU (to accomodate host and guest instructions, assisted by VT, etc...).

So, because we're maxing out the hardware, we expose flaws much more often than when using an Apple on it's own. 

Something as benign as a bad bit at the very bottom of a RAM stick might not be hit until the RAM at that location is actually used, which might not be often.  With Virtualization, those banks are more often maxed out and very much need to be correct (there's little room for error at this level), so a flaw will be exposed as 'freezing' and 'crashing', when it might never have been hit if the user isn't using a virtualization platform.

Generally, in my experience, Freezing leads to Crashing, which leads to Cursing.  Such are the tenants of the Dark Side of hardware failures...

My advice: Contact Apple and ask to speak with a Level 2 tech, as they can associate the symptoms you're experiencing with hardware, and can do something about it.  Especially if you've already re-installed the Mac OS.  (Typical TS procedure is: 1) test in a new user; 2) test after reinstalling the OS, 3) repair hardware).

-
0 Kudos
macdo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Started to install VMware V2 and guess what? system froze out. Back on the phone to Apple and ended up speaking to a Senior Advisor. Long story short, suspect logic board which is being replaced under Applecare warranty.

0 Kudos