VMware Communities
MCaseyM
Contributor
Contributor

Mac Catalina and Fusion Has Black Screen

When will this be fixed? I'm unable to use the software on my laptop and to continue production of files.

The screen turns black when Fusion launches and cannot open any files.

Casey

143 Replies
PAB46
Contributor
Contributor

That worked. Many thanks.  Not a production machine, but it is nice to have it working again.

Cheers

Peter

0 Kudos
SiBaoluo
Contributor
Contributor

The problem for me is Fusion doesn't ask to enable screen recording. How does it get in your list in the first place?

raistlinrtcw
Contributor
Contributor

Hi

Goto System preferences --> Security and Privacy

Scroll down to Screen Recording and click the padlock icon at the bottom and enter admin password.

Then click the tick box next to VMware Fusion it should be in there regardless of if you clicked allow or deny when the prompt originally occurred.

0 Kudos
bwts
Contributor
Contributor

VMware Fusion install does not prompt you for this so it never shows up in Security and Privacy >> Screen Recording.

Anyone else out there actually resolved this issue?

Logicode
Contributor
Contributor

After reading this post and recommendation, I would like to share my solution.

I am running VMware Fusion 8.5 and the Screen Recording permission was never ask.

Solution :

-Install the latest version of the VMware Fusion (11.1) as trial (It will ask for Screen Recording permission)

-Close it

-Reinstall VMware Fusion that you have (Mine is 8.5)

-The Screen Recording permission is still there

-Black Screen Problem solved

Esjee
Contributor
Contributor

This works for me. Thanks.

0 Kudos
akehaiesbd
Contributor
Contributor

This worked for me!

0 Kudos
akehaiesbd
Contributor
Contributor

Worked!

0 Kudos
kineticrootlkit
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you, privacy setting has fixed mine as well for all my vm's.

0 Kudos
emader
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running VMware Fusion Version 11.1.1 (14328561) on macOS Catalina Beta 19A526h and I don't see Vmware in the Screen Recording Privacy settings. I've tried reinstalling VMware, and it doesn't help. Any suggestions?

0 Kudos
emader
Contributor
Contributor

FWIW, I'm running the VM is full screen mode.

0 Kudos
kineticrootlkit
Contributor
Contributor

If you don’t see your VMWare in Screen Recording.

1.) Then go to settings > System preferences > Security & Privacy > General top left middle of the window > then in the bottom left of the general window tab That’s within the general window at the bottom left section of the gen window click the lock button on click enter the password once unlocked > then go back to screen recording and it should appear for you to check the tick box.

Or

If that doesn’t work you can do this to see if your kext (kernel extension) is installed correctly for VMWare

1.) First launch the Terminal app by going to the top right screen click on the magnifying glass witch is your spotlight search and typing in terminal pressing return on your keyboard.

2.) Then type or paste the following command: kextstat | grep -v com.apple

3.) Press return and a list of all of the 3rd party kernel extensions will populate in the terminal window. Then you can see if you have installed it correctly your VMWare Application/3rd party kernel extension if done correctly should show in screen recording tab in Security & Privacy tab.

0 Kudos
emader
Contributor
Contributor

I don't understand your suggestion about Security & Privacy > General. What should I tap?

The terminal command doesn't show any 3rd party kernel extensions. I copied two VMs from another system, and I tried creating a brand new VM. It never asked about screen sharing.

I thought perhaps VMware was installed incorrectly. I reinstalled it (deleted old application, emptied trash and ran the installer again) and that didn't make any difference. I also rebooted, and that didn't help either. Is there anything else I can try?

0 Kudos
kineticrootlkit
Contributor
Contributor

Tab*

Can you share a few screenshots with everyone?

What hardware are you using your using specs and what version of fusion are you running?

I’ve tried replicating your issue on my hardware running beta 1-5 with no luck replicating you issue.

0 Kudos
emader
Contributor
Contributor

I ran the kextstat command while a VM was running and got this:

emader@Erics-iMac emader % kextstat | grep -v com.apple

Index Refs Address            Size       Wired      Name (Version) UUID <Linked Against>

182    1 0xffffff7f84723000 0x11000    0x11000    com.vmware.kext.vmci (90.8.2) 9E116534-F8D9-3F50-9542-55BF67EDCB2E <13 6 5 3 1>

183    0 0xffffff7f84734000 0x16000    0x16000    com.vmware.kext.vmnet (1432.85.61) C1766CFF-CD78-37F3-B540-9D4F000BB2D0 <182 6 5 3 1>

184    0 0xffffff7f8474a000 0x13000    0x13000    com.vmware.kext.vmx86 (1432.85.61) B4801DEA-2CB7-3377-86E2-4CFC7F2552B1 <8 6 5 3 1>

185    0 0xffffff7f8475d000 0x7000     0x7000     com.vmware.kext.vmioplug.18.1.2 (18.1.2) A3019F09-7FF5-36C5-A9F5-7EAC1DF20C2A <64 6 5 3 1>

emader@Erics-iMac emader %

I'm running VMware Fusion Version 11.1.1 (14328561) on macOS Catalina Beta 19A526h on a late 2015 27" Retna 5K iMac w/ a 4 core 4 Ghz processor, 32 GB of memory and AMD Radeon R9 M395X 4 GB graphics.

Here are some screenshots:

pastedImage_2.png

pastedImage_3.png

pastedImage_4.png

pastedImage_5.png

pastedImage_6.png

0 Kudos
emader
Contributor
Contributor

One more screenshot:

0 Kudos
emader
Contributor
Contributor

0 Kudos
emader
Contributor
Contributor

Sorry, for some reason, it won't take THAT screenshot. Maybe this will work:

pastedImage_0.png

0 Kudos
emader
Contributor
Contributor

Sigh:

0 Kudos
emader
Contributor
Contributor

Argh!!! The last one shows the VMware library window that shows the Windows screen. Sorry for all the confusion.

0 Kudos