VMware Communities
cneasonj
Contributor
Contributor

MAC OS X guest on Fusion 4

Has anyone gotten this message installing a MAC OS X guest on Fusion 4? "A fault has occurred causing a virtual CPU to enter the shutdown state."

I have a Mid 2011 MAC Mini with 8gb memory.  Fusions detects the OS as MAC OS X and I use the defaults it gives me.   I get the error on Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger.  I have tried using both ISO's and a physical CDROM drive to no avail.

Thanks

Charles

0 Kudos
7 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The only Client version of Mac OS X supported under VMware Fusion 4 is Mac OS X Lion and is currently the only Client version of OS X that can be legally virtualized.   The Server versions of Leopard, Snow Leopard and Lion are supported and can be legally virtualized under VMware Fusion. Virtualizing the Client versions of Snow Leopard, Leopard and Tiger is illegal and not supported nor can it be discussed in these Forums.

0 Kudos
enigmakv
Contributor
Contributor

I'm trying to run Snow Leopard Server inside Fusion 4.

As far as I can tell, the VMware Tools have been installed (how can I verify this?).

I am unable to drag and drop files/folders between the Lion desktop and the virtualized Snow Leopard Server running in Fusion 4.

Is this normal?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Drag and Drop is not supported in Mac OS X Virtual Machines.

0 Kudos
enigmakv
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the info.

0 Kudos
sanjac
Contributor
Contributor

The workaround I use to make up for the lack of a drag-and-drop feature is set up a shared folder within Fusion.  Pick a folder on your main Mac to share and you can drop and retrieve files from that shared folder.  Hope this helps.

Jim

0 Kudos
SvenGus
Expert
Expert

Drag and Drop support would indeed be another possible future enhancement for the Mac OS X (Server) VMware Tools, besides Unity support.

0 Kudos
Gideon007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

I'm using Remote Desktop to overcome this and HAVE drag and drop support. It looks funny though having VMWare showing the OS X virtual machine as well as Remote Desktop.

Instead of Remote Desktop other VNC programs should do the trick as well.

Sometimes there is a hichup though and I need to restart Remote Desktop as it claims the file is already there and refuses to drag'n'drop.

0 Kudos