VMware Communities
METACORTEX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

MAC Address Location - FUSION

Good morning,

Looking for a way to locate the MAC Address of a VM. I was able to locate from the terminal the commands, "vmrun list" & "vmrun getGuestIPAddress" to locate the IP Address of a server once VMware Tools was installed. Required this after VMware Cloud Builder was created and failed with out warning of password complexity. 

What I am currently doing is standing up an empty VM for ESXi to be installed from the VMware Imaging Appliance (VIA) inside VMware Cloud Builder. Currently in R&D mode and documenting the steps and verifying current script created will work to complete configuration before going onsite to implement an environment. 

With that being said. I require the MAC address to enter into VAI along with server FQDN and IP, which I currently have. With ESXi and if I remember correctly Workstation has this readily available. Would really like to not require to stand up and ESXi host to create an empty VM just to locate the MAC of the NICs.

Question is how can I find the MAC address of a VM without an OS or VMware Tools installed?   

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Look for a line in the vmx file ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0C:29:nn:nn:nn"

View solution in original post

3 Replies
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

Look for a line in the vmx file ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0C:29:nn:nn:nn"

METACORTEX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

After taking another look, found the > Advanced Option, at font 8, in Settings > Network Adapters that provides the MAC address.

Hope this helps someone else one day,

METACORTEX_0-1682514011456.png

0 Kudos
METACORTEX
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

That is totally different then what I found in Advanced Options, ethernet0.generatedAddress = "00:0C:29:C6:BB:B0"

Thank you.

0 Kudos