VMware Communities
chuckomoss
Contributor
Contributor

Low monitor resolution running Vista on a Mac Book Pro

Greetings,

I have a 15" MAC Book Pro, the Host OS is Leopard OS X v10.5.2, I am running VM Fusion v1.1.1 and I have installed Windows Vista Ultimate on top of XP Pro as the guest OS. With VM Fusion I have installed the VMWare Tools.

My issue is that when I run my guest OS, Vista, for all applications, i.e. Outlook, Word, etc. the monitor resolution within my guest OS does not allow me to see the entire desktop of Vista in my 15" Mac Book Pro monitor. I have tried every setting in the Vista control panel under >Control Panel > Display Settings

Is there a tip/trick to be able to show my entire desktop and have high resolution display settings using Vista Ultimate on VM Fusion v1.1.1?

Thanks,

Charlie (long time PC user, MAC owner since Jan 08', first time posting to this forum)

0 Kudos
5 Replies
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

What resolutions are you running on the Mac and in Vista? Your Vista resolution has to be less than the Mac host's (Or you have to switch to full screen mode.) My 15" MBP is at 1440x900 and I can see all of the Vista virtual machine's desktop, set to 1280x800.

0 Kudos
chuckomoss
Contributor
Contributor

My MBP display settings are set at 1440x800.

When I set the Vista display settings to 1280x800, I still had to scroll down to get to the start menu. In the full screen menu I could see all of the Vista desktop but it did not use the entire MBP screen.

When I changed the Vista display settings to 1280x960, I had to scroll further in the "non-full screen mode" and when I changed to full screen mode, I could still the entire desktop, but there was a decent amount of unused MBP screen.

I can live with the 1280x800 settings, however, is there a resolution or another work around that would allow me way to have the Vista desktop totally visible and use all of the MBP available screen?

I guess I could get an external monitor, but I would like to get comfortbale with the display on the MBP screen first.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

0 Kudos
asatoran
Immortal
Immortal

My MBP display settings are set at 1440x800.

You mean 1440x900, right? Smiley Wink

When I set the Vista display settings to 1280x800, I still had to scroll down to get to the start menu. In the full screen menu I could see all of the Vista desktop but it did not use the entire MBP screen.

When I changed the Vista display settings to 1280x960, I had to scroll further in the "non-full screen mode" and when I changed to full screen mode, I could still the entire desktop, but there was a decent amount of unused MBP screen.

This is expected since the dimensions of the MBP physical screen do not match the resolution of the virtual machine. Giving Vista "larger numbers" will always give scroll bars. With Vista set to 1280x800, you might not be able to strech the screen tall enough if your Dock is too large. Either shrink the Dock or make it hide.

I can live with the 1280x800 settings, however, is there a resolution or another work around that would allow me way to have the Vista desktop totally visible and use all of the MBP available screen?

Other than full screen, you should be able to add resolutions to the guest virtual machine . I've done this in Workstation, but haven't done this in Fusion yet.

I guess I could get an external monitor, but I would like to get comfortbale with the display on the MBP screen first.

Any other thoughts or suggestions?

Me personally, I want multiple windows open so I don't want any one window to take up the whole monitor. When I want that, I usually switch to full screen. Many times, I'm using Unity mode, so again, just a window for the VM. Only my main desk machine, which has multiple monitors, do I have a web browser window take a whole monitor. But of course, I have the other monitors available to view other windows. So I still don't have any one window take up the whole desktop. But that's just my preference.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Are you able to resize the (OS X) window and have Vista resize? From your description, it doesn't sound like the guest is properly fitting to the window, which it should be doing if Tools are installed properly.

0 Kudos
Planter
Contributor
Contributor

I have the same problem. I'm running XP Pro as my guest operating system.

I've tried and tried to make the guest monitor use the whole screen.... Nada. Because of that I've stopped using VMWare..... If i need to change from one operating system i use bootcamp....

I'm sure this must have been addressed before, but for the life of me I haven't found where....

0 Kudos