VMware Communities
RowdyBacon
Contributor
Contributor

Low Disk Space Warnings?

I've been running XP Pro as the only virtual machine on my MacBook Pro for nearly three years now. Current version of VMware Fusion is 2.0.8; current version of Mac OS X is 10.5.8. Up until recently this set up has performed pretty flawlessly. However, over the last few months I've been getting Low Disk Space warnings that keep occurring no matter how much memory I free up or allocate.

Just yesterday I increased the RAM allocation from 512 MB to 748 MB because the Low Disk Space warning was telling me I had less than 20 MB available on my XP virtual disk. And this was after having deleted various applications and folders that freed up nearly 200 MB of space just a few days earlier. Now, I'm getting the same warning telling me I have ZERO disk space available! What the heck is going on here and how do I correct the problem?!?  :smileyconfused:

I should also mention that I've got 4 GB of RAM on the MBP, seldom have so many applications running simultaneously that I'd be taxing the overall system RAM, and have never created any "Rollback" snapshots in Fusion. Thanks in advance for any help or info anyone can offer.

Regards,

Doug

0 Kudos
8 Replies
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Increasing the memory in case of low disk space does not help at all. You only have two options: Either free up disk space on the guest's virtual disk (preferred) or resize/grow the virtual disk. 200 MB may not be enough. E.g. "Windows Update" could cause issues with that low disk space.

To find large files and folders I recommend you run TreeSize (http://www.jam-software.com/treesize/?language=EN).

André

RowdyBacon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the rapid response, André. However, I'm still a bit confused. Your "Windows Update" comment has me thinking that might be causing the problem because this seems to have cropped up since the last few automatic updates were performed. More importantly, the last update (from about a week back) doesn't seem to have fully taken because each time I now shut down XP I get the "Install updates and shut down" option by default. Is something unnecessary being "installed" each time that's using up more and more of my available memory? And if so, how do I get this update cycle to stop?

I don't know that there's much more I can remove to free up additional memory, and given what seems to be happening each time I do it that doesn't seem to be the solution to the problem. As for growing/resizing the virtual disk, what's involved in doing that?

Doug

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

I think the "Install updates and shut down" could be a result of the low disk space, where Windows is not able to automatically apply all the updates. So if you cannot free up disk space and need to grow the virtual disk, I recommend to:

• shut down the VM and backup the files (vmwarevm bundle)
  • make sure you don't have any snapshots for this VM
  • increase the size of the virtual disk (I don't use Fusion myself, however this should be possible in the VM's settings)
  • resize the Windows XP's OS partition using e.g. a boot CD/DVD with diskpart.exe, gparted, ...

André

RowdyBacon
Contributor
Contributor

Okay, you clearly have me confused with someone possessing the necessary "tech" expertise to accomplish the last of your bullet point suggestions (resize the Windows XP's OS partition using e.g. a boot CD/DVD with diskpart.exe, gparted, ...). :smileylaugh:  The third one, though, I believe I already did when I increased the size from 512 MB to 748 MB. Or maybe I didn't?!?!

However, the first order of business would appear to be figuring out a way to put a stop to "Install updates and shut down" problem. I've never had this problem with past Windows updates, which leads me to believe something got corrupted this last time around. Any ideas as to how I can get that issue resolved?

Doug

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

... you clearly have me confused ...

So I achieved my primary goal Smiley Wink

I believe I already did when I increased the size from 512 MB to 748 MB.

What you have increased is the memory (RAM), not the size of the virtual HDD.

... the first order of business would appear to be figuring out a way to put  a stop to "Install updates and shut down" problem. I've never had this  problem with past Windows updates ...

I assume, you never had a full disk either.

Any ideas as to how I can get that issue resolved?

After backing up the VM you could search the "WindowsUpdate.log" file (located in the Windows directory) for hints. If you cannot find anything, check the size of the "C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download" folder. This is where MS stores the packages for the automatic update. If you want you may delete this folder following these steps:

1. Click Start, Run and  type services.msc in the Open box, then click OK
  2. Right-click Automatic Updates, and then click Stop
  3. Rename the C:\Windows\SoftwareDistribution\Download folder to e.g. Download.old
  4. In the Services snap-in, right-click Automatic Updates and then click Start
  5. Once the Download folder is automatically recreated you may delete the Download.old folder to free up disk space (after that empty the recycle bin)

André

0 Kudos
RowdyBacon
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks again, André, for the detailed response. Unfortunately, I'm not in the clear yet.

If when you say "I assume you never had a full disk either," you're asking if this problem has occurred before, I can answer with a definitive, NO. This is a first!

I opened up the "WindowsUpdate.log file and nearly fell off my chair when I saw the hundreds (thousands?) of lines of update info I'd have to scroll through and attempt to decipher. As I mentioned previously, I'm not exactly the most tech savvy guy when it comes to something of this complexity...especially if it has to do with Windows. In short, I wouldn't have the foggiest idea of what to look for (that indicates a problem) amidst all the text and numbers on display.

I was able to follow your instructions for deleting the Download folder, which I think freed up about 190 MB of memory. My concern, however, is that without addressing the underlying perpetual Update problem I might quickly use that up. Got any additional suggestions? 

Doug

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

Well, unless you cannot free up space in the virtual machine, I guess you will need to grow the its virtual disk as mentioned in one of my previous posts. Regarding the last step (resizing the Windows partition) you can either boot the virtual machine from a Windows Vista/Windows 7 CD/ISO to the recovery command line and use the diskpart utility or use a disk partitioning utility like gparted.

André

0 Kudos
a_p_
Leadership
Leadership

While reading other posts, I came across a documentation about Resizing Virtual Disks With Step by Step Instructions which might help.

André

0 Kudos