VMware Communities
stoneman_41
Contributor
Contributor

Lots of lag and graphics problems after upgrading to Fusion 7

I have a 16GB RAM Retina MacBook Pro.

I recently upgraded to Fusion 7, and have seen much more problems. When I use the Retina Mode, for example, most of the OS becomes choppy, and there is definitely latency present in actions such as moving windows.

Gaming is also a problem. I downloaded DOTA2, for example, and when I tried running the games, the proper textures I believe couldn't be loaded due to graphics problems, and the game screen remained extremely dark.

Is this a common issue, and is VMware working to fix it?

0 Kudos
3 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Did you upgrade the virtual hardware and VMWare tools in the VM, and did you make sure 3d acceleration is enabled?

As for the dark games, Dragon Age Origins gamma adjustment is also non-functional (I've reported that a couple of times).  No clue where it is in the queue.

0 Kudos
stoneman_41
Contributor
Contributor

Yeah, I just checked and everything looks like it is properly upgraded. I am on Hardware version 11, which is the latest, and the VMware Tools additionally should be correct.

One thing to note is when I run Steam and select the option to check whether the video card has the latest drivers, I end up on a page saying I don't.

I don't know if this is just because it's a virtual graphics card or not.

Additionally, when I go to device manager, just check if everything's properly there, I don't see any video controller under the 'Sound, video, and game controllers' Menu item. Not sure if this is an issue or its normal (again, because it's virtual).

0 Kudos
RickShu
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

It seems the VMware Tools does not work properly, would you please remove it then re-install it in your virtual machine and give it a try again?

Besides, in device manager you should be able to find 'VMware SVGA 3D' from 'Display adapters' instead of from 'Sound, video and game controllers'. Also, please provide the Driver version of your display adapter, e.g. 8.14.1.51

Regards,

-Rick

0 Kudos