VMware Communities
Helmholz
Contributor
Contributor

Lost network connection

I am a long time PC user just switching to an iMac with an XP VM installation. So far it is a pretty simple installation with few problems but my ethernet DSL connection in XP has disappeared and I can't access the internet. It worked perfectly after the installation with no attention from me but now nothing appears in My Network Places and if I try to create a connection it says it should already be installed and if I try to create a home network it says the hardware is not installed. The OSX side works fine and my old computer connected to the same router also works fine. The printer connected via the same ethernet cable works from the VM. I have tried the three different settings and everything else I can find but can't get any traction as I have nothing to work with. Since I don't normally use broadband from the VM side I am not sure when it went out and assume it was after an upgrade of some kind. I have Fusion 1.1 build 62573

I was actually trying to figure out how to access files and folders on the VM from OSX when I discovered this problem.

Any advice on how to troubleshoot this problem would be appreciated.

George

0 Kudos
5 Replies
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

Your internet connection is not usually in My Network Places. Try looking in Start > Settings > Control Panel > Network Connections. If you see "Local Area Connection" there, then right-click on that and click "Repair". You also may have a DNS problem where your connection is up but not resolving names. Please help us by running this command:

Start > Run > cmd /c "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt & notepad c:\ipconfig.txt &" > OK.

Try to copy and paste the command (Cmd-C in OS X, Control-V in Windows) and vice-verse to post here (Select All, Copy, then Cmd-v in OS X). It should look something like:

Windows IP Configuration

Host Name . . . . . . . . . . . . : wxpfusion

DNS Suffix Search List. . . . . . : austin.rr.com

Ethernet adapter Local Area Connection:

Connection-specific DNS Suffix . : austin.rr.com

Description . . . . . . . . . . . : VMware Accelerated AMD PCNet Adapter

Physical Address. . . . . . . . . : 00-0C-29-XX-XX-XX

Dhcp Enabled. . . . . . . . . . . : Yes

Autoconfiguration Enabled . . . . : Yes

IP Address. . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.xx

Subnet Mask . . . . . . . . . . . : 255.255.255.0

Default Gateway . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DHCP Server . . . . . . . . . . . : 192.168.1.1

DNS Servers . . . . . . . . . . . : 24.93.xx.xx

24.93.yy.yy

0 Kudos
Helmholz
Contributor
Contributor

I am not sure I did this right but here is what appeared in the Notepad window:

Windows IP Configuration

That is all.

I pasted the following in the Windows XP run window: cmd /c "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt & notepad c:\ipconfig.txt &"

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if I did this incorrectly.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I am not sure I did this right but here is what appeared in the Notepad window:

Windows IP Configuration

That is all.

I pasted the following in the Windows XP run window: cmd /c "ipconfig /all >c:\ipconfig.txt & notepad c:\ipconfig.txt &"

Thanks for your help. Please let me know if I did this incorrectly.

Just use...

ipconfig /all > c:\ipconfig.txt

Then attach the c:\ipconfig.txt file to the reply.

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal

This is certainly possible. Did you have a "Local Area Connection" in Network Connections, if so did you run repair on it? Try this before anything else, if you want to be extra careful reboot OS X first then repair the network connection in Windows.

After trying the above, do you have a "Network" item in your Virtual Machine menu? If not, shutdown your virtual machine and choose Virtual Machine > Settings > + (lower-left) > Add network... to re-add one. (i have no idea why it would disappear).

If you have a Network item in Virtual Machine you can also try running Start > Run > devmgmt.msc > ok. Then open your computer icon, and network adapters. If there are none there, try View > Show hidden devices. Delete any items called "... AMD PCnet Adapter", then click on Action > scan for hardware changes. Windows will go through its normal plug-n-play.

0 Kudos
Helmholz
Contributor
Contributor

There was never any "Network" item in the VM menu. Having tried the preceeding suggestions I tried adding a network with the VM shut down and that cured the problem. It gave the the network a very strange name but otherwise all seems to be back to normal. I should have thought of trying that - many thanks for the help.

0 Kudos