VMware Communities
TonyChick
Contributor
Contributor

Lost Cut&Paste with Creators update

My Windows VM upgraded itself to the Creators update and I've lost the ability to cut/copy/paste text between the host Mac and the VM. It still works with other VMs with different versions of Windows, and I've done the usual stuff of uninstalling and reinstalling VMWare Tools. I have Fusion 8.5.8, the iMac is on the latest 10.12.6 and All Windows updates have been applied

Any ideas? this is something I use a lot

0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

When you did the uninstall/reinstall of VMware Tools did you reboot the guest OS after uninstalling it?

That's a pretty critical step to make sure it works.

If you already did that then I guess as a last resort you can always try and see if it helps if you start vmtoolsd manually.

(Tip: create a batch file for that and setup a shortcut link so you can just click or add it to a windows start menu)

taskkill /F /IM vmtoolsd.exe

"C:\Program Files\VMware\VMware Tools\vmtoolsd.exe" -n vmusr

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
TonyChick
Contributor
Contributor

Wil,

Yes, in fact both uninstall and install insisted I reboot after each action. I tried manually starting vmtoolsd as you suggested, but still nothing I'm afraid. It definitely seems related to Creators update, it stopped working about that time. Perhaps their new cloud-linked clipboard?

I can copy/paste from the Mac to VMs running other versions of Windows no problem but I can't between other Windows VMs and the Creators VM either

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

I'm sorry I don't know what could be wrong besides that.

It is probably best to open a support case with VMware so that they can look at some more details and perhaps this is a known issue.

To get official support please go to: Fusion Support and open a ticket at File a Support Request

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos