VMware Communities
zanskar
Contributor
Contributor

Losing Internet Connection on Windows XP Side, but not Mac side

I recently started to lose my Internet connection on the XP side of my Mac, but not on the Mac side. Periodically it comes back up, but goes down again soon after. I've shut down XP, shut down Fusion (I have the latest version). I've reinstalled Fusion, but still, the problem persists. I've been working at this for days. Can anyone help me figure this out? I've only found a very temporary fix that runs out of terminal mode: sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/./boot.sh --restart. I now have to use this command 10-15 times a day just to send/recieve mail. What can I do to fix this problem long-term as this is my sole work/home machine.

Thanks!

Adam

0 Kudos
6 Replies
zanskar
Contributor
Contributor

Try changing your virtual machine from NAT to Bridged

networking mode from the menu Virtual Machine ->

Network Adapter -> Bridged.

Then run the following command in terminal mode:

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/./boot.sh --restart

I stil don't understand why I can no longer share the Mac connection. Why did it work at one time and now it doesn't?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

What can I do to fix this problem long-term as this is my sole work/home machine.

In a Terminal (/Applications/Utilities/Terminal) what is the output of the following command. (Hint: Just copy and paste the command into a Terminal an press Enter. You can then select/copy/paste the output to a reply post.)

ls -al /Library/LaunchDaemons

0 Kudos
zanskar
Contributor
Contributor

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your post. My post above was an attempt to provide an answer to my original question. I thought that if I replied to my own post others would have the solution to my problem.

The solution was switching my Internet connection so that I was connecting directly to the physical network (bridge) under Fusion Network Setting. Then I ran the following command to restart Fusion.

sudo /Library/Application\ Support/VMware\ Fusion/./boot.sh --restart

0 Kudos
zanskar
Contributor
Contributor

Oh. I see..You meant for me to run the command: ls -al /Library/LaunchDaemons

Here is the output:

total 16

drwxr-xr-x 4 root wheel 136 Jan 16 22:31 .

drwxrwxr-x+ 56 root admin 1904 Jan 10 20:01 ..

-rw-rr 1 root wheel 621 Jan 16 22:31 com.adobe.versioncueCS3.plist

-rw-rr 1 root wheel 520 Nov 11 21:51 com.vmware.launchd.vmware.plist

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I'm sorry, but I don't understand your post. My post above was an attempt to provide an answer to my original question. I thought that if I replied to my own post others would have the solution to my problem.

I understand why you replied to your own post however I was asking for some information to confirm the permissions were properly set to rule out the "com.vmware.launchd.vmware.plist" getting improperly modified if the Group Permissions on the "/Library/LaunchDaemons" directory were set to something other then "drwxr-xr-x root wheel" as in "drwxrwxr-x 4 root admin" which was causing another User problems and by removing the Write Privileges from the Group Permissions it solved the issue although I can now see it is not the same as yours however it was worth checking.

0 Kudos
jansav20
Contributor
Contributor

Brilliant, thank you! I had the exact same problem and I am now back online with win xp.

0 Kudos