VMware Communities
Slawo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Log files location

Hello, I have a quite small but fast HDD where i would like to have all the log files written into. How can I change the location of the log files? Is there any configuration option?

Is there a manual describing all the configuration files?

0 Kudos
1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>How can I change the location of the log files? Is there any configuration option?

The Fusion VMM seems to accept log.filename="/tmp/vmware.log". Substitute the path for your desired location.

>Is there a manual describing all the configuration files?

None, provided by VMware. The un-official reference for the configuration file format is Ulli's site (sanbarrow.com)

I'll have to look in user preferences for re-directing the GUI's log file. I'm not sure about that one.

View solution in original post

0 Kudos
12 Replies
DannyD
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

You will find the Fusion application logs at /Users/Username/Library/Logs/VMware Fusion

You will find the virtual machine specific logs in the home folder of your virtual machines.

Replace Username with your username

0 Kudos
rcardona2k
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

>How can I change the location of the log files? Is there any configuration option?

The Fusion VMM seems to accept log.filename="/tmp/vmware.log". Substitute the path for your desired location.

>Is there a manual describing all the configuration files?

None, provided by VMware. The un-official reference for the configuration file format is Ulli's site (sanbarrow.com)

I'll have to look in user preferences for re-directing the GUI's log file. I'm not sure about that one.

0 Kudos
Slawo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

This I already know, the title of my question must have mislead you.

The question is how can I redirect the logs of VMWare and the logs of each virtual appliance into a more efficient disk? The large drive I use for the Virtual machines is quite slow while my faster drive is quite full and is not large enough for the whole virtual appliances.

0 Kudos
Slawo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

>How can I change the location of the log files? Is

there any configuration option?

The Fusion VMM seems to accept

log.filename="/tmp/vmware.log". Substitute the path

for your desired location.

which file should I edit to change this value?

>Is there a manual describing all the configuration

files?

None, provided by VMware. The un-official reference

for the configuration file format is Ulli's site

(sanbarrow.com)

I'll have to look in user preferences for

re-directing the GUI's log file. I'm not sure about

that one.

Thank you much Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
RDPetruska
Leadership
Leadership
Jump to solution

... and Richard already answered you. Add the line

log.filename="/tmp/vmware.log"

to your vmx file. Substitute the path for your desired location.

KevinG
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

This only changes the location of the virtual machine log file and not the UI log files

0 Kudos
Slawo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Is there a way to change the UI log files location?

0 Kudos
arang
Enthusiast
Enthusiast
Jump to solution

The UI log files drop into ~/Library/Logs/VMWare Fusion.

You could probably remove this directory and make a symbolic link to another location. (I don't think a Finder alias would work, though I haven’t tested it yet; many applications don’t properly handle them.)

% rm -r '~/Library/Logs/VMWare Fusion'

% ln -s 'somewhere' '~/Library/Logs/VMWare Fusion'

That said, there’s not a lot of data going into the logs (or shouldn't be, once debugging mode is off in the release Smiley Wink so it’s probably not a big deal to leave them in the default location. I have two VMs up for 5 days or so now and the UI log files total less than 150KB.

Slawo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Thank you much, simply moving the log file of the virtual appliances changes everything, I was worried the sluggish behavior was due to Fusion or my config of Mac OS...

Perfect!

0 Kudos
Slawo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Indeed arang the alias was not working, with the ln -s it's working.

Thanks much rcardona2k for the tip and RDPetruska for the precision.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal
Jump to solution

Thank you much, simply moving the log file of the

virtual appliances changes everything, I was worried

the sluggish behavior was due to Fusion or my config

of Mac OS...

Perfect!

That's kind of surprising. Unless you've enabled some non-default debug logging options, neither the VMX nor UI logs should be growing so fast that your disk becomes a bottleneck. By default you should only be seeing initialization and warning messages in those logs, as well as periodic performance stats.

0 Kudos
Slawo
Contributor
Contributor
Jump to solution

Considering the kb size of the logs it makes no sense to me either, but I don't have time for further testing this month.

Anyway, putting the logs onto a virtual disk (in RAM) helped a lot on my macbook.

Thanks much for the help.

0 Kudos