VMware Communities
steveroberts1
Contributor
Contributor

Location of Virtual Machine Files on Mac

Hello, I'm planning on updating my OS from Catalina to Monterey. This will necessitate updating VMWF from 11.x to 12.x. In a previous thread, I was advised to uninstall VMWF prior to the OS upgrade. Then, I was advised to reinstall VMWF 12.x on the new OS. Finally, I was advised to reconnect to my virtual machines using the new version of VMWF. I need to know where the VMWF virtual machine "files" are stored so that I can reconnect them. Thanks very much for your assistance. SR
0 Kudos
3 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

From the documentation: https://docs.vmware.com/en/VMware-Fusion/11/com.vmware.fusion.using.doc/GUID-ECE9C823-8EE2-44AB-A72B...

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
steveroberts1
Contributor
Contributor

Got it; thanks. Very helpful.
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Another way is to use the Finder and Spotlight to show where every virtual machine bundle resides on your Mac. It assumes that Spotlight is indexing all the locations on your Mac.

Open a Finder window, and type "kind:vmbundle" in the search field.

Make sure that "Search: This Mac" is showing.

What you will get is something like this:

Technogeezer_0-1671222824585.png

These are all the virtual machines you have on your Mac, regardless of where they are. Highlighting one of the virtual machines will show its folder path in the path bar at the bottom of the window.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos