VMware Communities
pantherfan69
Contributor
Contributor

Lion +wifi +Bridging problems

I just got a the new 2012 MBA, and notice if i attempt to use bridging mode I cannot get a dhcp address, yes if i assign a static ip address the laptop acts like its running in half duplex, because i only seem to get about 50% of my packets to the VM and 50% to the mac os itself, like its splitting the traffic between the ip addresses.  NAT mode isnt an option because i need to use Lync, and nat mode breaks that.

Any idea on when bridging will be fixed?

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

The DHCP failure may depend on what environment you're running in.  The DHCP server may not be configured to give your VM an address.   And when you used Static IP, what IP did you give the VM (vs. what did you give the Mac?)  How did you select the IP address to statically configure the VM, and how did you ensure that no other device was using it?

0 Kudos
pantherfan69
Contributor
Contributor

we use cisco AP's with the WLC controlling them. I used an IP address from the same dhcp range as my mac, but made a reservation on the server to make sure no one else would get that address. Using that static address allows it to work ...sometimes hehe. I can do a continuous ping to www.apple.com on the vm and on the mba, and for 10-15 seconds it gets replys on the vm but times out on the mba, and then it times out on the vm and works on the mba, and switches back and forth like that.

0 Kudos
AKostur
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Check out this thread from Cisco's support forums:

https://supportforums.cisco.com/thread/2065405

Seems to suggest that this is a WLC issue, and not VMware.  If I had to guess (with no direct experience..), the WLC may be getting upset about seeing two different MAC addresses coming from the same wireless association.

0 Kudos
bobanveljanoski
Contributor
Contributor

Enabling "Passive client" uder SSID Advanced setting on Cisco WLC solves the issue. It's Cisco issue.

0 Kudos
milton123
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Have your guest machine got enough virtual memory?

I think your machine response time is high enough that's way www.apple.com response time 10-15 seconds.

Cheers, Udin

0 Kudos