VMware Communities
BigAlChicago
Contributor
Contributor

Lion under Snow Leopard?

Is it possible to keep Snow Leaopard as the main operating system with a virtual machine running Lion under it?

If not, if I do not have physical discs for Snow Leopard, how would I upgrade to Lion and then use VMWare Fusion to run Snow Leopard in a virtual machine?  Also, if I have Quicken installed on my iMac currently, if I upgrade to Lion will I be able to find and use Quicken and my data in a virtual Snow Leopard machine?

Thanks.

0 Kudos
5 Replies
Gideon007
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

1. I'm not 100% sure that Fusion 4.x runs in Snow Leopard. If it does you can run Lion in it. I've done it through some loops with Fusion 3.x with a Lion beta but I wouldn't advise that to anyone (Fusion 3.x + virtual Lion), it's a mess to do.

2. If you do not have the physical discs you cannot install Snow Leopard in ANY Virtual Machine (regardless of the license issues that may or may not apply). AFAIK Fusion cannot convert a real OSX system to a virtual one.

3. Of course you can run Quicken on a virtual Snow Leopard if it ran in a real one. Just keep your data safe (you may have to look up where Quicken saves which data) and place it in the virtual machine

0 Kudos
Berknip
Contributor
Contributor

I'm running SL 10.6.8 right now with Fusion 4.1.0 just fine.  I also have a Lion VM that I hardly use, but it seems to work as advertised, including the App Store and iCloud.

0 Kudos
havema1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Mac OS X 10.7 guest runs OK under Mac OS X 10.6 host in Single Window mode in VMware 4.1.

But if I switch to Full Screen mode, and then restart, then the Mac OS X 10.7 login screen appears briefly and is then turned into an unusable mess. So I must always remember to switch from Full Screen mode to Single Window mode before shutting down the Mac OS X 10.7 guest.

Maybe the Full Screen mode's Spaces isn't compatible with Mac OS X 10.6?

Anyway, installing OS X 10.7 on a Mac running OS X 10.6. is not supported:

http://kb.vmware.com/selfservice/microsites/search.do?language=en_US&cmd=displayKC&externalId=200533...

0 Kudos
havema1
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Only Mac OS X 10.6's server version is supported as a guest.

Old Rosetta applications seem to work OK with Mac OS X 10.6 guest under Mac OS X 10.7 host in VMware 4.1.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I believe the EULA requires a lion host for lion guests.

0 Kudos