VMware Communities
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

Lion VM Settings no Startup Disk as with a Windows VM

When I select Settings for a Lion Client vm, Startup Disk is not an optional pane as is with a Windows vm.

I desire to attach a second virtual disk and do a clean install of Lion Client. Once all the additional applications and services have been installed, I will clone the virtual disk to a physical disk and boot up the physical computer from there. However, I can not tell VMware Fusion which virtual disk from which to boot the vm due to no Startup Disk Setting.
As a work-around, I added bios.bootDelay = "5000" to the .vmx file. That gives me the opportunity to press the Alt/Option key to bring up the Boot Manager (that VMware has supplied, less than easy-to-use).
[Blank line]
VMware Fusion 4.1.3 is the current level installed.
[Blank line]
Best
0 Kudos
11 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I don't believe you'll be able to successfully clone a virtual machine to a physical one, since the underlying hardware is fundamentally different.   Even if it boots, I suspect you'll end up with bits of Fusion left throughout the OS, and may end up with unexplained instability.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

It has been running live for over three weeks now. It clones just fine, except for a USB modem for faxing (perhaps hardware malfunction, have yet to trouble-shoot).

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I didn't say it might not work, but I'll bet there's bits of fusion drivers left around, and it may be unstable in random ways.

The migration wizard is a much safer method to accomplish the same end.  That moves apps and data but leaves the core OS/drivers current for that hardware.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

lol!

why would there be any vmware drivers? Tools was not installed.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

No, but OS saw different hardware (e.g. video card) than exists on the actual system.  I understand that in the old days copying one mac to another worked, but with the migration to intel chips, it can be vastly different.  I've tried this a number of times, and about 80% of the time there's some strange instability that goes away when I do a native install and a migration.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

lol

YMMV

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

Exactly!

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

aaaawww

pity

0 Kudos
DaveP
Commander
Commander

Been doing V2P clone of OS X and Windows for some time, and no issues at all running them. Also taken CarbonCopyClone of OS X and run it under Fusion just fine as well.

0 Kudos
ChipMcK
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

I wonder what the others did wrong. For me the technique simply works.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

I too have been doing P2V the V2P with OS X and Windows as well for many years without any insurmountable issues.  And strictly for proof of concept I've done it with unsupported versions of OS X, tested the OS and then deleting the virtual machine. These images were moved to different Mac hardware as, in other words an image that was made on a MacBook Pro or iMac was was imaged to the other or vice versa, as well as to a virtual machine.

0 Kudos