VMware Communities
jotaking
Contributor
Contributor

Lion & Fusion

Hi All

I have just upgraded from SL to Lion, all was tip top until I wanted to start up VMWARE and run windows vista. A VM Dialogue box opens saying "64 bit kernal incompatability" please restart system using 32Bit.

Wht do i need to do?

Do i just upgrade to version 3?

Will i lose my vista partition?

Is there a simple work around?

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks

Steve

Tags (4)
0 Kudos
5 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

You didn't say what version of VMware Fusion you're using however considering the error message and your question "Do i just upgrade to version 3?" I'll assume you're using VMware Fusion 2.x and it is not supported running under a 64-bit kernel so either do as the message suggested or upgrade to VMware Fusion 3.x.

No, you will not loose any existing Virtual Machines and the only thing that will need to be done to the Virtual Machines is to upgrade VMware Tools within the Guest OSes.

tonymac892
Contributor
Contributor

There was a post recommending upgrading to 3.1.3 prior to installing Lion.

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2011/07/os-x-lion-spotted-in-the-wild.html

I upgraded and everything is working fine under Fusion, but I am running Win7 not Vista..

I did check for updates on 10.6 prior to downloading and installing Lion.

T

MacBook Pro - Dual 1080P LED Monitors - DualHead2Go Mac OS X 10.7 8 GB RAM Intel Core i7-2720QM @ 2.20GHz
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

There was a post recommending upgrading to 3.1.3 prior to installing Lion.

http://blogs.vmware.com/teamfusion/2011/07/os-x-lion-spotted-in-the-wild.html

While the words upgrade and upgrading appear a few times in link you've provided I saw nothing in there that states or suggests that one upgrade prior to installing Lion.  One would think that common sense would dictate that one always checks for compatibility issues before upgrading anything and to do it without having to be told.  Unfortunately not everyone has common sense and whether or not one has common sense is irrelevant after the fact so the only choice then is to uninstall the uncompilable program and install a compatible version.

I upgraded and everything is working fine under Fusion, but I am running Win7 not Vista..

I did check for updates on 10.6 prior to downloading and installing Lion.

I have been checking the Lion compatibility status of the programs I use at the various manfactures web sites and I do not have Lion installed on my production system.  I did image the drive of my production system to an external hard drive and then installed Lion on it (the external hard drive) and with it set not to mount the internal drive.  I then tested everything first hand so I'd have real word data based on my particular build.  I will then use the results to do a clean build on the production system prior to installing Lion on it after the first point release of Lion as I typically never run the dot zero release of any OS on a production system.

0 Kudos
jotaking
Contributor
Contributor

Just downloaded the latest version and it went on no probs, all running as it should now.

Thanks

0 Kudos
tonymac892
Contributor
Contributor

Woody, sorry I posted the wrong link.. It was actually a reply to your post yesterday I was referring to.

http://communities.vmware.com/thread/322035?tstart=0

I took a risk upgrading to Lion, I kenw this going into it. I did however have a backup to restore from in the event of failure.

It appears others were less fortunate.

T

Hi Woody,

VMware  Fusion 3.1.3 works well with OS X Lion. Anyone running an earlier  version should look at upgrading to 3.1.3 before they move to Lion.   Compatibility with Lion is important to us, for the obvious reasons.  Anyone running VMware Fusion on one of the new Macs (Sandy Bridge  Air/Mini or Thunderbolt Cinema Display) who can post their experiences?

Simon

MacBook Pro - Dual 1080P LED Monitors - DualHead2Go Mac OS X 10.7 8 GB RAM Intel Core i7-2720QM @ 2.20GHz
0 Kudos