VMware Communities
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

Lion + 10.6 host

I purchased Fusion on the recommendation of an Apple developer. I need to install Lion but still also need Rosetta (on my host machine).

I'm now reading here that this can NOT be done, and 2 separate Mac OS's on one machine will (or can) cause kernel panics.

Is this true?

If so, is there a work-a-round?

Jeff

0 Kudos
8 Replies
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

I believe that it can be done if you purchase the server version of 10.6.  Apple does not allow virutalizing the 10.6 client on 10.7.

0 Kudos
MATTN201110141
Contributor
Contributor

You can certainly create virtual machine for Lion (installed inside Fusion) which woudl run on a SL host (native) system.

The other way around (Lion host with SL VM guest) is more complicated and appears to require SL server as the guest OS.

Alternatively you could just partition your SL system HD and install Lion alongside it. But I am sure there are potential conflicts if you need to access the same files. Someone mentioned that you must maintain exact matches for the number of and names of all users to prevent screwing up permission.

0 Kudos
drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

I need to install Lion on my host SL machine (not vice a versa).

One VMware forum poster said that his Mac "panics" when two different OS's configured this way.

Thanks again for your replies.

Jeff

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Running multiple physical installs is no big deal if done properly.  I've even doing it for almost four years with different version of OS X and now with Snow Leopard and Lion and have never had a kernel panic as a result of it.  Whichever version of OS X that is booted then the other volume that contains the other version of OS X is not mounted and therefore neither is effected by the other.

I just set an entry in the /etc/fstab file in each install to not mount the volume the other is installed on and one therefore is not aware of the other in an manner that could cause issues.

I also run Mac OS X in a Virtual Machine on an OS X Host and this does not cause any issues either.

drjeff
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks so much Woody. Yours is the first positive reply that I've read.

What method do you think is best for installing Lion into my VM? App store download or USB install? Any installation tips?

Thanks again.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

That's not permitted by the Apple EULA for SL client.

0 Kudos
MATTN201110141
Contributor
Contributor

dlhotka wrote:

That's not permitted by the Apple EULA for SL client.

I don't believe there is anything written in the EULA to prohibit you virtualising Lion in a SL host.

0 Kudos
ColoradoMarmot
Champion
Champion

The Lion EULA only permits virtualizing it on Lion:

"(iii) to install, use and run up to two (2) additional copies or instances of the Apple Software within virtual operating system environments on each Mac Computer you own or control that is already running the Apple Software."

The Apple Software is Lion, so you already have to be running Lion to virtualize it.

0 Kudos