VMware Communities
geychaner
Contributor
Contributor

Linux text console size

I have several virtual machines running CentOS 7, booting to a Linux text (not graphical) console. However, the consoles for different VMs open at inconsistent sizes (some at 48 rows 160 columns, some at 37 rows 100 columns), and I have not found a way to change them. (I'd like them smaller; I seldom use the console window, but occasionally need it.) Resizing the window just changes the apparent font size, and 'stty rows' or 'stty columns' doesn't seem to do anything. How do I change the console size that opens on boot? The consoles are opened by '/sbin/agetty --autologin root --noclear %I $TERM' in the getty systemd service, and changes to the service don't seem to change the console size either, nor is the console size set anywhere in the service that I can find.

Thanks, -G.

Labels (2)
0 Kudos
1 Reply
geychaner
Contributor
Contributor

I have at least seemingly narrowed it down to some subtle difference in the boot structure that sets the size of the VM window when right after selecting the kernel. It may have something to do with one boot sequence displaying a "7" graphic with a spinner, while the other does not. It's probably something subtle in the initramfs or grub configuration, and not worth messing with.

0 Kudos