VMware Communities
Maclinux42
Contributor
Contributor

Linux in Fusion spuriously (!) loses all network, even to host machine

Hi,

I'm running latest Fusion 6 on latest OS X Mavericks with a single VM running Debian 7.6, everything 64bit.

When I start up everything, the networking, configured to "Share with my Mac", works just fine.

However spuriously, on the order of hours, the network connection will stop working:

Even a ping to 172.16.69.2, i.e. the address given as default destination to the Linux in the VM with 172.16.69.0/24 being the private network between the VM and the Mac, will not work.

Sometimes a reboot of the Linux will be sufficient to fix this, sometimes it needs a restart of the Fusion application.

Has anybody else experienced this problem? Any solutions?

Thanks!

0 Kudos
2 Replies
nancyz
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

Welcome to the community.Smiley Happy

Even a ping to 172.16.69.2, i.e. the address given as default destination to the Linux in the VM with 172.16.69.0/24 being the private network between the VM and the Mac, will not work.

Is 172.16.69.1 pingable when your VM lost network connection? Did you try to renew ip address in your VM?

Sometimes a reboot of the Linux will be sufficient to fix this, sometimes it needs a restart of the Fusion application.

Did you notice if there is a process called vmnet-nated alive on your Mac before you restart the VM?

0 Kudos
Maclinux42
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for your input; VMware told me to remove the network adapter and add it again, which seems to have fixed the problem; if it does occur again I'll check for the two things that you suggested...

0 Kudos