VMware Communities
klkempter
Contributor
Contributor

Linux guest and vmware tools?

I installed a Fedora 8 guest in Vmware Fusion. Every time I start it it tells me the vmware tools are not installed, even though I did the install. If I download the vmware tools rpm and try to install it tells me it's already installed.

However it doesn't act as though the vmware tools are installed - the window movement is jerky and Ican't find a way to tell the guest to fit the size of my window unless I do a full screen.

Thanks in advance for any advice...

0 Kudos
2 Replies
modular747
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Try uninstalling the tools by running (as root or sudo) vmware-uninstall-tools.pl (in /bin in the tools package). Then reinstall them.

0 Kudos
dp_fusion
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

What I found with my F8 installs is that the tools install but not correctly. The LD_LIBRARY_PATH in the startup scripts is wrong and nothing runs correctly. My cure was to dl an F8 appliance and ignore the tools warning - it's running fine in both Fusion and Player for Windows. I ran out of time to experiment further. I do know that the tools as installed by the Windows/Linux version of VMware installs things correctly - it's just the Fusion tools install stuff that seems borked. It's true for Fedora and SuSE.

0 Kudos