VMware Communities
ailgorithm
Contributor
Contributor

Linux console not using full screen

I'm using Debian 10 in console mode only.

During the installation, the console was using the full screen size for the linux console (in Full Screen Mode).

After restarting the application, with all configuration possible (center, Stretch, Resize) i always get the screen cropped from both sides, and not using the full screen.

If i setup Debian to run is text mode, i manage to get the full screen, but setting debian console to 1024x768 for example and changing the text font will get the screen cropped.

Appreciate any suggestion.

Using Fusion 8.5.10, and Debian 10

Tags (3)
0 Kudos
3 Replies
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

This is a feature of Fusion 11, so ... the real fix is to upgrade.

If you don't want to do that, then possible workarounds could be:

- use SSH and a remote terminal

- enable VNC on your VM and connect with a VNC client that supports scaling (I have NO idea if that exists, but it would be one of the things I would try if there wasn't Fusion 11)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
ailgorithm
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks Wil for the information.

I can't move to Fusion 11, as i have OSX 10.11 and the minimum is OSX 10.12

I can SSH from the OSX terminal and this can go full screen.

The puzzle is why during the initial installation, the Full screen is displayed for the Debian, and using all the screen in my mac, but once i close the application and start again the screen is cropped.

I've tried it like 4 times, and each time i'ms trying to same the configuration and compare the changes, nothing i can track changes.

If it was not active during the initial installation of Debian i would question that i need to upgrade, but something is setting the screen to full during the installation and then i'm not able to set it properly.

Thanks

0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

Hi,

The minimum version is the minimum version that VMware tested against.

See also:

Is High Sierra really required by Fusion 11.5 ?

That's usually how it works in software development, you have to draw a line somewhere.

It does not mean it won't work, just that you haven't considered the platform in your testing as there's not a huge market segment on that platform.

I don't know your hardware though, that might be another reason to stay on Fusion 8.5.

There's a minimum CPU requirement that might count.

System Requirements for Fusion

The metal requirement I think doesn't really count for your case, you could always fall back to the openGL rendering engine.

re. the debian install screen being full screen, but afterwards not.

My guess is that after initial boot debian tries to switch to the best screen resolution for the screen it detects.

You might be able to override that with some kernel boot parameters.

Maybe something like this will work:

https://stackoverflow.com/questions/13411294/vmware-window-size-for-ubuntu-cli

(I have not tried, just googled it on your behalf)

--

Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos