VMware Communities
f2photo
Contributor
Contributor

Linux VM VMWare Tools install

I have Fusion 12 and have successfully installed a running Linux VM. But I can not install the VM Tools like I always have. The "Reinstall VMWare Tools" is greyed out since they have never been installed. The CD that the VM mounts by default is the ISO the Linux was installed with and not the Fusion ISO. I can't see anywhere to download the tools like we used to be able to do either. Certainly I am not the first person to have this issue so I am wondering how anyone has resolved this.

Labels (1)
Tags (2)
0 Kudos
2 Replies
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

What Linux distribution and version are you running?

There is usually no need to install VMware Tools for Linux as open-vm-tools provides the same functionality. Most modern Linux distributions install it as part of the standard installation.
VMware has been recommending use of open-vm-tools on Linux guests for some time now.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
fsociety3765
Contributor
Contributor

Should the official VMware Tools for Linux not still work correctly though? Are the official tools for Linux bundled with Fusion still fully supported by VMware? 

I have the official tools installed in Linux. Manjaro in my case. The reason I went with the official tools over open-vm-tools is that I need features that only the official tools can provide (supposedly). Mainly folder sharing. My understanding is that this is not possible with open-vm-tools.

However, with the official tools, while things do work for the most part. I can't get file/folder drag/drop or copy/paste to work. I have it enabled in the settings for the VM.

Any ideas what the issue could be?

Thanks,

FS

0 Kudos