VMware Communities
belize
Contributor
Contributor

Line 1: Syntax Error

I have been using VM Ware on my Mac OSX for about a year with no problem. All of a sudden, it gives an error: Windows_XPSP2.vmwarevm/Windows_XPSP2.vmx" line 1: Syntax error.

Any suggestions on how I can repair the machine, or retrieve my files? I've read the beginners guide and cannot located the .vmx file (unless it is one named "preferences"), and the Mac Search engine will not bring up a .vmx file.

154 Replies
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Archive the target Virtual Machine's .vmx configuration file and all .log files that are in the Virtual Machine Bundle Package to a reply post.

Go back and reread the and specifically the Virtual Machine Files section because it tells you where the files are.

belize
Contributor
Contributor

OK, I tried the right click function to open packets and found two files: importer.vmx and vadk-base.vmx

I saw previous instructions from an old thread that said to create a new virtual machine and link to the old vmx file. I tried that with both of the above and got an error: Insufficient permissions.

I tried to open the vmx files to view text, but it said no permission to access this virtual machine.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

If I say it again maybe you'll get it...Go back and reread the and specifically the Virtual Machine Files section because it tells you where the files are.

Just in case it doesn't...

By default normal file based Fusion Virtual Machines are created in the "~/Documents/Virtual Machines" folder. (Note: Depending on OS ver. and or Fusion ver. there may be a .localized after Virtual Machines which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.)

~ Is your Home Folder

They are placed in a Folder (Bundle Package) with an extension of ".vmwarevm" which by default the extension is not visible in Finder.

Example: "~/Documents/Virtual Machines/Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm" would in Finder just look like an icon named "Windows XP Professional"

You can view the Package Contents of the "Windows XP Professional.vmwarevm" folder by ctrl-click (or right+click) the "Windows XP Professional" icon and select Show Package Contents.

Now select the .vmx and .log files and archive them.

Now drag the Archive.zip file to the Desktop and attach it to a reply post. (Note: You cannot attach files directly from within the Virtual Machine Bundle Package and that's why you're being told to drag it to the Desktop.)

If this doesn't make it any clearer about what I what and how to get it then there is nothing else I can do for you!

0 Kudos
belize
Contributor
Contributor

Thank you for your patience, Woody. We are very grateful that you didn't give up on us. Attached is the file you requested. Your instructions were great. Thank you.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

The "Windows_XPSP2.vmx" file is corrupt and the one attached I created out of the information in the .log files. Relpace the existing "Windows_XPSP2.vmx: file with the one attached and you should be good to go.

0 Kudos
belize
Contributor
Contributor

Smiley Happy Smiley Happy Thank you! I can't believe it. That is the first time my documents have ever been recovered from a crash. And, you made it seem so easy. I hope I didn't make you too crazy. Have a wonderful day.

Heidi

0 Kudos
zagazu
Contributor
Contributor

HI i JUST read this post and the exact same thing happened to me. I have the archive attached would you please fix it for me woody? or anyone else.

I need it for my internship and its been a huge inconvenience.

Thank you in advanced.

zagazu

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Replace the existing "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file with the one attached and you should be good to go.

BTW I noticed you have 2 virtual processors selected and unless you're running on a Mac Pro this may actually cause degraded performance so you may want to reset it to using 1 virtual processor however YMMV.

Message was edited by: WoodyZ

Removed old attachment.

0 Kudos
zagazu
Contributor
Contributor

Wow woody your insane! Thank you so much. How did you fix it?

and... yes i do have two cores... so thank you for that too.

once again i really appreciate this thank you

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

How did you fix it?

When Fusion runs, it records the .vmx configuration in the log file. Therefore, given a log file, you can reconstruct the .vmx config (useful for debugging, and helps in cases like this too).

0 Kudos
crazy_bitch
Contributor
Contributor

Hi!

I have the same problem after the VM crashed and won't start again. It would be great, if you could help me. (Or someone else, of course.)

I'll attach the logs and the .vmx file. But maybe you could explain here, how to restore a corrupt .vmx file; then people with this problem could solve it themselves and wouldn't have to bother you or anyone else with it.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

But maybe you could explain here, how to restore a corrupt .vmx file; then people with this problem could solve it themselves and wouldn't have to bother you or anyone else with it.

Have a look at:

0 Kudos
crazy_bitch
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for the pointer. I guess, the lesson to be learned here is to make a backup copy of the VM's .vmx file for cases like this...

0 Kudos
zagazu
Contributor
Contributor

Woody its me again. my vmware froze and i guess that caused an error again. please fix my file once again. What file do you need again?

0 Kudos
zagazu
Contributor
Contributor

Woody, my mac froze again and the vmx file dowsnt work again. Here is a zip of log files and current vmx. please fix it one more time. Thank you.!!!!

Why doesnt the last vmx file you sent me work.?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Replace the existing "Windows XP Professional.vmx" file with the one attached and you should be good to go.

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Why doesnt the last vmx file you sent me work.?

Two reason, one you have a different Snapshot in place and two I missed a pair of quotes on the last line. Smiley Happy

0 Kudos
zagazu
Contributor
Contributor

Woody, seconds after fixing it i took a snapshot of the system and when i was shutting down it froze and once again now there ia an error...what is going on?

0 Kudos
WoodyZ
Immortal
Immortal

Here you go...

Have a look at so you can fix the .vmx file yourself.

0 Kudos