VMware Communities
ammishra7415
Contributor
Contributor

Licenses Validity

Hi All

I want to purchase 4 VMWARE Fusion 12 Player. I want to know if these licenses would be having lifetime validity or it will expired in one year

0 Kudos
7 Replies
scott28tt
VMware Employee
VMware Employee

A moderator should move your thread to the area for Fusion, now that I have reported it.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Although I am a VMware employee I contribute to VMware Communities voluntarily (ie. not in any official capacity)
VMware Training & Certification blog
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

Fusion licenses are perpetual. They do not expire, so you can run the version of Fusion you bought them for “forever”.
But…

A fusion 12 license will not work for future major versions of Fusion. If they come out with a “Fusion 13”, you will need to purchase a new license. 

- Paul (Technogeezer)
Editor of the Unofficial Fusion Companion Guides
0 Kudos
wila
Immortal
Immortal

In addition to what Technogeezer said...

While your Fusion 12 license won't expire, apple has a tendency of breaking backwards compatibility.
So chances are not unlikely that a new version of macOS will break Fusion requiring you to buy an upgrade. Sometimes you're lucky, sometimes not.
Apple might not even release a new macOS version for machines with an intel processor. Not sure if that would fall under "lucky" or not.

--
Wil

| Author of Vimalin. The virtual machine Backup app for VMware Fusion, VMware Workstation and Player |
| More info at vimalin.com | Twitter @wilva
0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

@wila wrote:

Apple might not even release a new macOS version for machines with an intel processor. Not sure if that would fall under "lucky" or not.

While I agree that at some point in time Apple will stop supporting Intel Macs, I don't think that's particularly likely in the near term. After all they still are selling Intel Macs (the Mac Pro), and they just stopped shipping Intel iMacs. My tea leaves say that you'll see about another 2-3 years of new macOS releases supporting Intel models, with another 2 years of support after that, but that's just speculation based on what I've seen in the past.

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
dempson
Hot Shot
Hot Shot

@Technogeezer wrote:

While I agree that at some point in time Apple will stop supporting Intel Macs, I don't think that's particularly likely in the near term. After all they still are selling Intel Macs (the Mac Pro), and they just stopped shipping Intel iMacs. My tea leaves say that you'll see about another 2-3 years of new macOS releases supporting Intel models, with another 2 years of support after that, but that's just speculation based on what I've seen in the past.

The PowerPC to Intel transition saw new macOS versions dropping support for some models as little as three years after they were discontinued (Snow Leopard vs the 2005 PowerMac G5). We're two versions into macOS with Apple Silicon support and no evidence yet of a cutoff as short as 3 years.

If Apple sticks to their pattern over the last few years, then most Macs should be able to run the latest macOS version for at least 5 years after the model was discontinued, with some getting 6 to 7 years, and a minimum of 4 years in rare cases. The only recent example which got less than 5 years was the Mid 2012 non-retina 13-inch MacBook Pro which Apple kept selling until late 2016 (well after its contemporaries) and was dropped by Big Sur in late 2020.

(Add two more years for security updates.)

If the recent pattern continues, then the 2019 Mac Pro needs to be supported by at least the next four and probably five macOS versions, depending on when it is discontinued. It would be rather odd maintaining support for just one low volume Intel model, so it seems more likely they would eventually settle on a multi-model minimum such as "Intel models must have a T2 chip" (late 2017 iMac Pro, all 2018-2020 models except 2019 iMacs) until all Intel support is dropped.

Next data point (models supported by macOS 13) is less than a month away.

0 Kudos
Technogeezer
Immortal
Immortal

I think your 5 year crystal ball may be clearer than my crystal ball. 

I can see non-T2 Intel models rolling out of support sooner rather than later. (which means my secondary Mac mini 2014 is on borrowed time!).

- Paul (Technogeezer)
0 Kudos
Ziemann1
Contributor
Contributor

Thanks for sharing such a helpful instruction, really appreciate for your article.

0 Kudos