VMware Communities
hks22
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

Leopard and Spaces

In Tiger, I was running my windows applications in Unity Mode. I had the Windows Taskbar on the right side so it wouldn't interfere with the Dock at the bottom. Worked extremely well.

Now with Leopard and Spaces, I run OS X apps in Space 1 and Windows Full Screen in Space 2. CTRL-2 and I'm in Windows. CTRL-1 and I'm back in OS X. And I can even cut and paste between spaces.

If you have Leopard, try this. It IS having two computers in your Mac.

BTW, I'm running this on a SR 2.4 MacBook Pro with 2 GBs.

Tags (2)
0 Kudos
8 Replies
Garmt
Contributor
Contributor

I'm still struggling with the two modes. An accidental command-tab instead of alt-tab in VMWare and I exit full screen (which takes a few seconds to restore back to full screen), and OSX windows that demand focus means I switch spaces seemingly at random. Unity, on the other hand, doesn't give me a system tray which is equally annoying.

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

Sounds like you're using 1.0. 1.1 should fix both issues (command-tab shouldn't kick you out of full screen, and you can show the Windows taskbar in Unity).

0 Kudos
shshjun
Enthusiast
Enthusiast

yes full screen and spaces worked perfectly for me. in previous version i actually use the built-in VNC to access my VM on the same box. this adds me more real estate to work on in VM and avoids me a lot of issues others reported here. i actually continued this practice in leopard. i guess i no longer have to.

0 Kudos
Garmt
Contributor
Contributor

You are correct - both issues now solved. Unity does seem a bit more sluggish now, but hey, it works.

0 Kudos
andrewkc69
Contributor
Contributor

How did you get 1.1? I only see 1.0 available on the site.

Thanks!

0 Kudos
admin
Immortal
Immortal

1.1 is not yet finalized, it's currently in the release candidate stage. As such, you get it via http://www.vmware.com/beta/fusion/

0 Kudos
lucerodesign1
Contributor
Contributor

HKS22, I couldn't agree more. As someone who is easily confused when using Windows apps on a Mac, spaces really is the perfect separation of church and state. When in the XP space, I have no reminders of mac anywhere on the screen, and in the other 3 OS X screens, no trace of the virtual machine. I even have my spaces by priority: 1 - XP, 2 - critical mac apps, 3 - secondary mac apps, 4 - personal stuff. Just be sure to enable Mac keyboard shortcuts so you can quickly pop in and out of fullscreen mode in Fusion. Love Love Love this feature in Leopard! Another very cool thing is being able to montior multiple processes at once on a single screen when zoomed out to view all spaces. Bravo!

0 Kudos
lotto
Contributor
Contributor

I too am a huge fan of Fusion with Spaces but I've run into a problem. I have TWO VMs - one Windows and one Ubuntu. I tried to run them both full screen in two different spaces windows - they keep homing into the same window. I've tried both assigning the application to a space and removing that assignment. Same result. Has anyone gotten two different full screen VMs into two different spaces windows at the same time?

0 Kudos